PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew c37?

Gdears
03-05-2013, 10:24 AM
I'm the proud new owner of what appear to be c37 homebrew/kit? cabinets with a n2600 crossover and d130 15"woofer and bullet tweeters...I've been educated that the power handeling is 25watts as well that i should look into the crossover for updating? Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated...Thanks Brett

grumpy
03-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Those look like fun. I'd recommend starting with a 2G tip over test :)
(tweeters off the ground). Unless there is a known problem with the
crossover, I'd try bass/treble adjustments first.

Gdears
03-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Not sure what that is? If you mean to place them on there side with short legs I'm working on that....

grumpy
03-05-2013, 11:59 AM
:) sorry. It means turn them on their heads. Sideways or tall ways, get that tweeter off the floor.
the sound comes out in a fairly narrow cone, so if you want to hear it more than the reflection ffrom floors, walls, etc... you may want them at ear level.

Gdears
03-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks, I want to get them 2 ft in the air ...I'm thinking matching the cabinet size for stands...as opposed to short legs:blink:

Mannermusic
03-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Thanks, I want to get them 2 ft in the air ...I'm thinking matching the cabinet size for stands...as opposed to short legs:blink:

This is one instance where you probably want to try them on the floor to help with bass response. They are a (very) high efficiency speaker and as a result compromise bass response for maximum output. Don't be fooled by the 25 watt rating - you will be deaf at that level! They work just fine with a low powered tube amp of 10-35 watts. Follow Grumpy's advice, get them back to baseline and see how you like them. They are a classic - a lot of us here had them and loved them - AS IS. If I had to speculate on what needs attention I'd guess the pots need cleaned (Deoxit). Good luck!

Gdears
03-05-2013, 12:57 PM
I'll try them at suggested height as well clean things with deoxit....how about added bass from what i read.. bass may be were these 15" woofers are lacking:blink:
Lots of add a sub comments....any suggestions my pre has a center channel out I could use?

grumpy
03-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Near walls or corners can assist bass, but might sound "lumpy".
Again, I'd adjust bass levels with a preamp or receiver first...
up to +6dB if they're marked... Use the loudness control.
Then consider if the type of music you like to listen to has much bass below 50Hz
anyway. If so, a sub isn't the worst thing you could do :)

If you do decide to use a sub, you can obtain Y-adapters to split the preamp signal
(not knowing what your center channel is really doing)

Mike F
03-06-2013, 12:56 PM
You may also want to consider using speaker cable thicker than what appears to be 20awg in your photo ;)

Gdears
03-07-2013, 06:09 PM
They are Tara labs space and time .... I've got some other old cables and some kimber 8tc I need terminated with something to work with my old amp and these jbl's