PDA

View Full Version : DIY 1400Be's and McIntosh 275's

JuniorJBL
03-02-2013, 05:39 PM
WOW!! Found a pair of MC275's on CL not in great shape cosmetic wise but work and sound flawless! I do plan a full restoration for them including a new chassis. These are from 1963.:)

Man oh man these sound as good as my MC602 does. These are super nice on the top and are silky smooth. Of course they don't have the output of the 602 but I rarely play the 602 above 60w max.

The mids are ultra fluid and kinda just float through the room as if they were hovering around you with a really nice kind of reverb almost that makes it feel really full.

The bottom was not really any different than my 602. It went down as low and performed equally as well as the 602 with comparable output.
I am quite suprised that this amp can sound this good, but then again I have never really sat down and listened to tubes until today.

I have always been a Solid State guy but that may change. Not sure I could give up using SS especially for the bottom but this is a nice change.

My plan is to go full active on my 1400's and use the bridged 275's per horn and the MC602 on the bottom. Anyway this is a really cool pair of amps and if you ever get the chance to hear newer JBL's on tubes, I highly recommend it!:D

hwirt
03-02-2013, 05:57 PM
WOW!! Found a pair of MC275's on CL not in great shape cosmetic wise but work and sound flawless!:D
:applaud:

spkrman57
03-02-2013, 07:42 PM
I have had the 225/240 older Mc tube amps and they have that great vintage tube Mc sound that goes great with some vintage high efficiency spkrs. I heard the 275 on a friends system with low efficiency spkrs and was unimpressed.

But with high-efficiency spkrs will kick butt!

Great score dude!

Regards, Ron

PS: Monday and Tuesday delivery for your friends new toys!