PDA

View Full Version : glue remover

Valentin
02-28-2013, 11:55 AM
What product do you use to remove an old and rusted fome surround from a 2214 to place the new one

JuniorJBL
02-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Being very careful, I use goof off (xylene).

Mr. Widget
02-28-2013, 01:29 PM
There are two Goof Off products, one is a blend of Xylene and other equally carcinogenic chemicals... works well for many cleaning applications, but wear a respirator. The other Goof Off is citrus based I believe... it's good for some applications. I believe MEK is an appropriate solvent for surround clean up.

Widget

Valentin
02-28-2013, 03:44 PM
thank you both

:bouncy:

hjames
02-28-2013, 04:01 PM
I use MEK to clean the old glue and gunk off the frames before I redo surrounds -
but its nasty nasty stuff WARNING WARNING - OUTSIDE USE ONLY - PLENTY of fresh air!

There are two Goof Off products, one is a blend of Xylene and other equally carcinogenic chemicals... works well for many cleaning applications, but wear a respirator. The other Goof Off is citrus based I believe... it's good for some applications. I believe MEK is an appropriate solvent for surround clean up.

Widget

NickH
03-01-2013, 07:21 AM
Dont keep MEK around for a long time. It converts to acetic acid. I dont know the exact timje it takes. But I wouldnt keep it longer then a year.

I use MEK to clean the old glue and gunk off the frames before I redo surrounds -
but its nasty nasty stuff WARNING WARNING - OUTSIDE USE ONLY - PLENTY of fresh air!