PDA

View Full Version : Ruined dustcap 2206h



badman
02-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Hi Crew-

Got a 2206h that got the "kid" treatment today. Smashed the dustcap- rest of it is just fine. They look like very normal thin paper dustcaps, but does anyone have any experience replacing them? Source? What glue to use?

Thanks.

1audiohack
02-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Hi Badman;

The 2206 shares a dust cap with only the 2227 as far as I know. I have a couple if you want one. The glue depends, is it laid in really flat (like machine applied) and hard as hard? If so that is a medium viscosity instant like LocTite #410 or 430, I don't remember which is med-vis. Otherwise it's likely the Moyen that comes in the recone kits. I have that too.

Since you have nothing to loose, if it doesn't have a hole in it wet the cap with a sponge or soaked towel end until its shiny wet and let it have it with a shop vac. I let it suck full force till the cap is dry. Most times they come back impossible to tell.

If you want a cap and Moyen let me know.

badman
02-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Hi Badman;

The 2206 shares a dust cap with only the 2227 as far as I know. I have a couple if you want one. The glue depends, is it laid in really flat (like machine applied) and hard as hard? If so that is a medium viscosity instant like LocTite #410 or 430, I don't remember which is med-vis. Otherwise it's likely the Moyen that comes in the recone kits. I have that too.

Since you have nothing to loose, if it doesn't have a hole in it wet the cap with a sponge or soaked towel end until its shiny wet and let it have it with a shop vac. I let it suck full force till the cap is dry. Most times they come back impossible to tell.

If you want a cap and Moyen let me know.


Thanks- I did find and order these:

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/speaker-dust-cap-jbl-black-paper-dc-4.4p.html

along with their black glue- I'll update once I get a crack at this jobbie. Unfortunately, it was torn so no "pull out tricks". I'm thinking MEK for solvent, used VERY carefully, on the existing black glueline- any thoughts?

If I find it's easy to do a clean job I'll replace the sister driver's cap as well (I ordered 2) for visual matching.

Frustrating, I was all hyped up about my c/l find- 4732-x loaded with a quad of 2206h, a pair of 2404s, a 2445 and a 2446 on 2381s. The 2206 were in beautiful shape, 2 with original cones, 2 that had been reconed.

Unfortunately the 2447s to make them "true" 4732x would be pretty pricey, and the cabs have seen better days. Not sure where this all is going but got a great price so couldn't pass it up. Wound up with a 2241g too.

badman
02-25-2013, 05:21 PM
I removed the remainders of the dustcap with an exacto knife today. With caution, it wasn't hard to remove the paper down to the glue line. The glue itself is a heck of a goop- black and epoxy-like. Neither paint thinner, nor isobutane/ethanol solvent touch it. I'm being as gentle as possible but acetone seems the next contender, and MEK if that doesn't work... all sparingly tested with Q-tips.

gferrell
02-25-2013, 05:43 PM
It may be best to leave it and put the new dust cap over it. Sonically it should not make a difference.

1audiohack
02-25-2013, 07:38 PM
If its an instant adhesive you won't get it off. The proper cap (4.7/16") will sit on the existing glue line. Done right you can't even tell its a repair.

badman
02-26-2013, 09:42 AM
It may be best to leave it and put the new dust cap over it. Sonically it should not make a difference.


If its an instant adhesive you won't get it off. The proper cap (4.7/16") will sit on the existing glue line. Done right you can't even tell its a repair.

I think you gentlemen are right- I'll see how the simplyspeakers caps fit (I'm assuming that they will not be dramatically different in paper formulation), if they don't work for me I will ask you for a cap from your stash, audiohack, thank you for the generous offer.

I'm assuming that the right method is to lay down a fresh thin layer of glue on the existing glue line, press fit the cap, let it cure, then apply the glue on the top edge. I'm going to test the black glue beforehand, and if it isn't stiff like the OEM glue, then I'll look into the loctite P/Ns.

badman
02-28-2013, 06:14 PM
The simply speakers part and glue were a perfect match. Unfortunately, my glue application left something to be desired. In hindsight, I'd have been better off using a thick glue line under the dustcap only, and let it push out to cover the top edge, rather than a thinner line underneath and a thicker line over top.

It's only maybe 1mm of deviation around the edge, but the line is thicker than stock and it doesn't look great. Functionally seems perfect though, I'll run some sweeps... soonish to confirm.

Thanks to those who replied!