PDA

View Full Version : LE5-12 versus 104H-2

Mike F
02-18-2013, 08:46 AM
Correct me if I`m missing something but it would appear that the 104 is a better behaved driver according to the published frequency response graphs and sensitivities seem close as well.
Would the 104 be considered a superior driver and offer better performance if it were to replace an LE5-12?

Aaron
02-18-2013, 11:16 AM
I'm almost positive these drivers aren't interchangeable, at least not to any sonic benefit.
You'd have to make changes to the crossover...more like redesign the whole darn thing.

Mike F
02-18-2013, 11:46 AM
According to the JBL Pro driver replacement list, the two are interchangeable, but only as a last resort. I wonder what they meant by that. Perhaps the different impedance curves may play a part:dont-know:
With the 104 showing a better FR, one would think less crossover componentswould beneeded for compensation.

Aaron
02-18-2013, 12:28 PM
It's hard to explain how the differing impedance requires different XO component values without modeling software, but yeah. It's not so much frequency response as the impedance making the current set of XO parts respond at all the wrong frequencies.