PDA

View Full Version : Recomendations for ouotdoor speakers?

gferrell
02-17-2013, 04:44 PM
I am looking for a pair of outdoor speakers for the back deck. Has anyone heard the Control 28's, how do they sound? Any other recommendations?

gmarascortt
02-17-2013, 06:56 PM
I live in Florida and have a 6yo daughter. We have annual passes to all the theme parks(Busch Gardens, Sea World, Disney, and Animal Kingdom) and go to all time. The parks use some JBL Control 28's, but mostly the larger Control 30's. I don't have any idea what kind of amplification they utilize, but man those 30's sound GREAT! They have them in the bushes, behind rocks, mounted on poles, and up in the trees!

gferrell
02-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Great suggestion, out of my budget range, I am in no hurry. Maybe I will find a used pair somewhere. Keep an eye out for me please.

Mr. Widget
02-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Get the appropriate sized Control XX-AV version... A bit more cash, but they are significantly better sounding... quite good actually.

Widget

bonanzadave
02-18-2013, 07:29 PM
I have an SB-210
http://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/3012-Control-SB210 JBL specs.pdf
(http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=191&MId=2driven)
driven by one of Brian Dings sub amps.
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products.html.

This is some really nice bass reinforcement for the L-100s.

Yes. The SB-210 can be used outdoors. Wouldn't recommend the amp or the L-100s in the rain ;).

tom1040
02-19-2013, 12:14 PM
I have used a pair of JBL Studio S36AW II outside by the hot tub. Working fine for 5 years in the State of Maine weather! I have it coupled with a old school Sansui G-8000 receiver and an Onkyo Integra cdp.

I think the speakers are now discontinued but I have seen them on an auction site. ;)

DanMan
02-26-2013, 12:37 AM
I got a pair of those for 100 bucks on the bay. I like em cause they've got all-thread inserts for hanging them from all 4 sides of the boxes. They're not weatherproof by any means and heavy as heck and never got around to finding the rest of the necessary hardware nor gear to make it happen... but I dream about the party they'd throw often :)

doodle6
02-26-2013, 07:27 AM
I got a pair of those for 100 bucks on the bay. I like em cause they've got all-thread inserts for hanging them from all 4 sides of the boxes. They're not weatherproof by any means and heavy as heck and never got around to finding the rest of the necessary hardware nor gear to make it happen... but I dream about the party they'd throw often :)I have used Control 29s and Control 30s and both do the job admirably. And I have used pairs of both available for sale. I picked them up thinking that they'd end up with my kids, but no joy there, so they're sitting in a back room gathering dust. PM if you're interested in either.

gferrell
02-26-2013, 03:24 PM
Control 30's seem like a really good way to go.

Slare
03-04-2013, 12:16 PM
I thought I posted this but there is a very big step from 28's to 29's. 28's are inline with what you would expect from a similarly sized bookshelf speaker. I have a set in my 2 car garage and they are more than enough for out there, but they are designed as more of a background or general purpose speaker.

Control 29's really step things up and are capable of much greater volume output if you put enough amplifier behind them. Similar in output to a pair of 10" Eon's or other PA speakers, much, much more capable than 28's. I can't imagine needing anything more than a pair of 29's for a deck, even if you like cranking the music up, and 28's would be sufficient if you are have neighbors or noise ordinances to worry about. The 29's will really sing with a true 100 - 150wpc amplifier behind them.

Ruediger
03-04-2013, 01:03 PM
JBL does build them, and other manufacturers as well.

Ruediger