PDA

View Full Version : JBL 2205A surround dope question (desperate!)

panos29
02-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Dear Friends,
I know this topic went around and around countless times and I did tried very hard to read everything I could find upon this "unobtainium" substance but I at the end I am completely clueless. So I thought I might ask once more hoping that I might get some help at the end. So, the story goes: I got an excellent pair of 2205As but since these are very old I would like to "freshen up" the surrounds as these seem a bit brittle. In fact there is a tiny crack at the surround of both woofers that when pouring some light from the back you can actually see a crack of light on the other side. My woofers sound excellent in a modified 4530 horn loaded setup (that I really love very much), but I guess that at some point will be useless and I really cannot afford new cones (not that I can find any locally for a fair price). Since I really love these speakers I would be very miserable to see these deteriorate and eventually die!
So, what is the correct material (I hate silicone and I would like to avoid it) to be applied to save these? And where I can buy such a material? Maybe someone is willing to sell to me 2-3 ml?

I am really thanking you in advance.

My Best Regards,

Panos

Tim Rinkerman
02-17-2013, 05:28 AM
Have you considered replacing the surrounds? I have used these...http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-2225-2225H-2225J-15-Cloth-Surround-Speaker-Edge-Repair-Kit-CLSK-JBL2225-/140894808516?pt=US_Speaker_Parts_Components&hash=item20cdfc29c4 on some 2225's that were dried out and collapsed beyond repair. They are not terribly hard to install, and the cones now sit where they should.

NickH
02-17-2013, 09:22 AM
I've read the dope is contact cement. I have also read its a special oil.

But I'm no expert. I'm surprised no one ever seems to have an answer for this.

Nick

panos29
02-19-2013, 07:07 AM
I would prefer to repair the existing ones with the original material but it seems that I am the only one who faces this problem or everyone else is just using recones which in my case are both impossible to obtain not to mention extremely expensive. I am about to try wood glue (white) diluted in water and then applied under the cracks and then patch this with small pieces of silk fabric.
Lets see what happens!