PDA

View Full Version : My latest obsession. 12” Control Monitor Photo Shoot.

gsb001
02-13-2013, 09:32 AM
5815358154581555815658157My latest obsession. Vintage colored grilles.

For me the best JBL photos show all the factory grille color offerings.

I find it interesting that JBL went to the trouble and cost of offering the grille as a separate part number with color options on so many models.

Real testament to JBL’s no compromising planning and engineering at the time. Just the logistics of having three or even seven different part numbers / colors for more than 10 different speaker models is huge.

The colored grilles are a rare option, because at the time a customer actually bought new JBL’s, due to retailers desires to keep inventory costs down and avoid unsold and stranded NOS, their actual choice was probably limited to Brown.

As good as the grilles look in print; it’s no comparison to how they look in person. So vibrant, bright and fresh. JBL vintage colored grilles matched with the hardwood cabinets are one of my favorite examples of classic industrial design.
SB

Titanium Dome
02-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Very nice. :)

It's interesting how designs have really moved in a different direction. Back then, the innovation design-wise was in grill colors, shapes, and textures, while the cabinets were pretty unimaginative.

Today there's a lot of innovation design-wise in cabinetry, while the grilles are black and boring.

grumpy
02-13-2013, 12:33 PM
... are you really in the mood for M2s with bright orange grillework? :D

(I do like the Camel on the L150(A)) and the multitude on the control monitors)

Krunchy
02-13-2013, 01:10 PM
(I do like the Camel on the L150(A)) and the multitude on the control monitors)

+1
Yeah, looks very cool, Fresh! even.

BMWCCA
02-14-2013, 01:16 AM
+1
Yeah, looks very cool, Fresh! even.

Looks like a maintenance nightmare to me. Same reason I don't have white carpet. :dont-know:

Krunchy
02-14-2013, 07:25 AM
Keep em out of the garage or workshop & dim the lights, they'll be fine. :D
Can also be rented out on an Hourly rate $ for sexy photo shoots.