hlaari
02-09-2013, 04:19 PM
I looking for right black glue to glue down the dust cap in my 1500Al speakers
Can someone tell me were I can find the right glue

pathfindermwd
02-09-2013, 08:32 PM
I looking for right black glue to glue down the dust cap in my 1500Al speakers

It's called Moyen RS-3087. It came with all of the original JBL recone kits I bought. Hard to find, here are a couple links, no affiliation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-JBL-Professional-Moyen-RS-3087-Speaker-Driver-Cement-Glue-/321058094926?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Speakers_Monitor&hash=item4ac08dbf4e

http://www.soundspeakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SSR&Product_Code=RS-3087&Category_Code=Supplies

The item which came with non-jbl Re-FOAM kits was a white glue. It works fine for dustcaps/surrounds too:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=340-076
(http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=340-076)

EDIT: I wouldn't buy it used, it has a shelf life. Buy it new from somebody who can replace it, if needed.

rdgrimes
02-09-2013, 10:02 PM
It *should* come with any kit that includes a dust cap, but here's what I would buy:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/page/product/XL79.html. The "white" glue for surrounds is actually clear when dry, and slightly less flexible that the black stuff.

1audiohack
02-09-2013, 11:08 PM
Hi Guys;

I am not exactly sure what the factory is using for dust cap glue but it is not the Moyen stuff that comes in the re-cone kits. I think JBL uses an instant, or near instant adhesive of moderate viscosity. If you look closely it is near dead level (thin enough to flow flat) and if you scratch it with an Xacto blade tip it is harder than even most epoxies.

The closest I have found I think is called Black Max by LocTite. It is a near instant adhesive that can be instantly cured/kicked with an accelerator. The problem with the spray accelerator is that it causes the surface to crater, even if you barely mist it, and it looks porous which I don't like. I haven't found the perfect method, yet.

Anyone else who can or will add to helping us in duplicating the exact factory method and or look?

pathfindermwd
02-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Hi Guys;

I am not exactly sure what the factory is using for dust cap glue but it is not the Moyen stuff that comes in the re-cone kits. I think JBL uses an instant, or near instant adhesive of moderate viscosity. If you look closely it is near dead level (thin enough to flow flat) and if you scratch it with an Xacto blade tip it is harder than even most epoxies.

Are you sure about not being sure audiohack?? I just checked my 2 year old re-cone dustcaps that I used the Moyen's on, it's very hard, epoxy hard, and it matches the factory VC leads in color and hardness.

Why do you guys want to complicate the matter? The OP has some nice speakers and asked what JBL uses (the right glue) so they can look stock. Any glue would work, wood glue, silicone, caulk, fingernail polish, even Elmers glue, but that's not the point.

When someone asks a question, can we answer the question correctly, before giving an alternative?

....If we in fact know the answer?

hlaari
02-10-2013, 01:48 AM
I have use the glue who come with the original jblpro kits many time
but I did not get any glue with my 1500Al kits and I am only asking so I can similar glue like the original

thanks

1audiohack
02-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Are you sure about not being sure audiohack?? I just checked my 2 year old re-cone dustcaps that I used the Moyen's on, it's very hard, epoxy hard, and it matches the factory VC leads in color and hardness.

Why do you guys want to complicate the matter? The OP has some nice speakers and asked what JBL uses (the right glue) so they can look stock. Any glue would work, wood glue, silicone, caulk, fingernail polish, even Elmers glue, but that's not the point.

When someone asks a question, can we answer the question correctly, before giving an alternative?

....If we in fact know the answer?

I didn't know we were after a "Getterdone" solution. When I read:

hlaariHelp needed with dust cap glue I looking for right black glue to glue down the dust cap in my 1500Al speakers

I read "looking for right black glue" and "the right glue". Silly me.

I know Moyen gets pretty hard but you can still push the point of an Exacto blade into it. The dust cap glue on my "bought factory new" SUB 1500's, W1500's, 2227's, 2226's 2206's and 2020's is far harder than that. You would have to drill the tip into it.

One more thing, the two factory JBL trained re-cone experts that I know personally do not use the Moyen glue on the dust caps, they use Black Instant Adhesive. It lays down flat and stays dead flat, like the factory stuff, it doesn't sink in the middle of the glue line like a solvent based glue.

I thought since we were talking about a very new and very expensive speaker, maybe, just maybe we were actually trying to get it right, at least as right as we could.

Woofer
02-10-2013, 09:04 AM

There ya go 'hack, always jumping to conclusions again.... :p

:rotfl:

pathfindermwd
02-10-2013, 11:20 AM
I have use the glue who come with the original jblpro kits many time
but I did not get any glue with my 1500Al kits and I am only asking so I can similar glue like the original

thanks

I took a little more time to look up the info on JBL Pro Service and found a part number. They don't list any other adhesive available. I'm not sure if you can order direct from them, but it might be worth giving them a call for pricing and to ask about glue options.

Here's the part number and the contact info.:

353196-001 ADH, TUBE, MOYEN 3087 1 OZ

Our parts phones are open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday at 818-894-8850. The best times to call are between 8:00 am to 12:00 pm and 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm. (Pacific Standard Time)

hlaari
02-10-2013, 02:13 PM
I didn't know we were after a "Getterdone" solution. When I read:

I know Moyen gets pretty hard but you can still push the point of an Exacto blade into it. The dust cap glue on my "bought factory new" SUB 1500's, W1500's, 2227's, 2226's 2206's and 2020's is far harder than that. You would have to drill the tip into it.

One more thing, the two factory JBL trained re-cone experts that I know personally do not use the Moyen glue on the dust caps, they use Black Instant Adhesive. It lays down flat and stays dead flat, like the factory stuff, it doesn't sink in the middle of the glue line like a solvent based glue.

I thought since we were talking about a very new and very expensive speaker, maybe, just maybe we were actually trying to get it right, at least as right as we could.

I know at the black glue JBL sell with there recone kit is not the same like the original glue that come with the drivers
that glue is much harder like you said