PDA

View Full Version : Futureproofing L 112

Mike F
02-04-2013, 08:03 PM
With a bit more time spent with the newly acquired pair, it`s becoming apparent that these will be keepers, God willing, in some capacity for years to come.
I`m debating what can be done to keep these things singing in the event of a catastrophic amp failure, human error, accident or "natural" driver demise. Though responsibly driven, these are after all, 30 year old components.

Given that original components are NLA nor supported :(, it would seem like compromises would have to be made if my goal is to be achieved.
There doesnt seem much choice for tweeters: Ebay sourced originals or D8R044-1 at $76.00 each from Speaker Exchange.
My understanding is the forementioned diaphragm is a drop in replacement but with a titanium dome. How would that differ sonicaly from the original? Are there any alternatives from other series worthy of consideration?

Same choices for the woofers. Again, Ebay sourced originals, 128H or worse case C8R128-H1.

There seem to be more options regarding the mid range drivers. LE5-12s are more common and reasonably priced but I cant help but wonder if there would be something else in the LE5 or in the 104H-x family that would work as well if not better.
The LE5 Matrix thread is very informative but equally confusing when presented with so many choices. I`m hoping someone who actually replaced an LE5-12 with something else can comment on the sonic differences, if any.

Due to my OC nature, these drivers would be bought and used in pairs and I would sleep much easier knowing that the speakers can be repaired should the need arise.
Like always, any and all comments are appreciated most welcome.
TIA

rdgrimes
02-04-2013, 09:36 PM
There is no "sonic equivalent" to the 044 tweeter, but used parts are readily available.

The LE5-12 is identical to the LE5-10 and LE5-8, only the flange color is different.

Mike F
02-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Been following some Ebay auctions lately, the item prices seem reasonable enough however, the shipping prices on some of these units are simply outrageous, $85 to ship a (1) 128, whats up with that?:eek:
I recently had 70lb power amp shipped from LA for less than that.

BMWCCA
02-17-2013, 12:26 AM
whats up with that?:eek:

Attempt to beat the seller's fees from eBay? :dont-know:

SoundOfSound
02-18-2013, 11:27 PM
I`m debating what can be done to keep these things singing in the event of a catastrophic amp failure, human error, accident or "natural" driver demise. Though responsibly driven, these are after all, 30 year old components.

TIA

There are several small speaker protection circuit breakers/fuses you may want to consider.

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/speaker-protection-devices/307