PDA

View Full Version : JBL 4520 restoration ! NEED HELP !

retro soulman
02-03-2013, 11:23 AM
just bought a pair of these and soon ill start the restoration! i want the paint as close to original.. this black satin almost mat color! does anyone know how i can find something similar to that?... also i want all the instructions to start the restoration! the cabinets are in very nice condition. no cracks or big scarfs ... !

lastly cause here in Greece is so hard to find the original 2205 or k140 i want to try some different drivers... i know that they got to have a QTS lower than 0,30... any suggestions not so pricey ? i use the B&C pl 40 in my 4530 and sound ok. Any eminence or somethin? thanks! :D

Tim Rinkerman
02-03-2013, 01:24 PM
EMINENCE!?!?!? in a JBL cabinet!?!? Centurion, throw him to the ground roughly...!!!!
But seriously..buy a can of gloss black, and a can of flat black. Mix equal quantities, paint a test patch and allow to dry. If it is too glossy, add a bit more flat and try again. Too flat? Add somw gloss and...you get the idea. What you really need is a silkscreen for the white JBL logo !!!

Woofer
02-08-2013, 08:27 PM
You can just about throw 'anything' into these boxes with quite a pleasing result.
It may be off spec a bit, but still very useable. As long as all the speakers are the same, you might find yourself quite happy with that.
You don't mention if you're going to use these for gigs or just 'home use', but if for 'home', then you certainly won't need that sort of handling power that the 'proper' drivers would give you, which can save you an enormous amount of money.
(Just for the fun of it, back in the 80's, I re-baffled a pair once with just some cardboard and stuck 6" Pioneer twin cone car radio speakers in each box, and honestly, I just couldn't believe what I was hearing!
Absolutely a-m-a-z-i-n-g!!!!)
Of course, if you want to get serious, then obviously you'll just have to find the right speakers for the job.
You can try to find some 2215 or 2225 if you can't find any 2205 or K140's, which work extremely well also, and believe it or not, even the slightly cheaper and easier to find 2220's or K130's work well enough in them if not over EQ'ed or overdriven, (as their cones do tend to buckle and crease eventually if flogged). They're just a tad short in how low they'll go, but enough to still slam you against the wall and keep you there, but they're all gonna cost you, and that's IF you can find some in your neck of the woods.
.... but good luck in your search and experimenting. ;)

SoundOfSound
02-09-2013, 03:31 PM
If you want them to be JBL you have to use JBL parts. Here is a brand new JBL woofer that will work and is sold world wide. Just choose the correct impedance, 8 or 16 Ohms, depending on how you are doing the crossovers.

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2226.pdf

Here is some info on the enclosures.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/low_frequency_enclosures2.pdf

Woofer
02-09-2013, 07:38 PM
If you want them to be JBL you have to use JBL parts. Here is a brand new JBL woofer that will work and is sold world wide. Just choose the correct impedance, 8 or 16 Ohms, depending on how you are doing the crossovers.

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2226.pdf

Here is some info on the enclosures.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/low_frequency_enclosures2.pdf

.... someone's obviously out of touch with prices in your neck of the woods.
The cost of 4x 2226's in Greece would be the equivalent of a first class ticket around the world on the Queen Mary! Well, you know wot I mean....
Stick whatever you want in 'em until the time comes when you can afford to get the real thing, otherwise you'll have two really big boxes sitting around doing nothin'. :bouncy:

more10
02-13-2013, 12:31 AM
My experience with 4530 is that one shouldn´t use drivers with too low fs. I used e145 in them but 2227 is better. Find a driver with fs around 40. E140 is a good choise too.

Ruediger
02-13-2013, 01:09 PM
... builds good drivers for reasonable money. The model L15P/200AK is permanently available on ebay.

Ruediger