PDA

View Full Version : L-112 In Da House!

Mike F
01-30-2013, 04:41 PM
I reluctantly had to give up my biamped 4430 system for something a little more condo friendly :(
It was just a matter of time before my neighbors would become less tolerant of them. Not wanting to test the limits of their patience, I decided to downgrade to maintain peace and harmony.

But downgrade to what? Having to settle for something after living with 4425s and then 4430s would not be easy. I considered something along the lines of 431x or even in the L series but was unable to find a suitable candidate. What ever came on the market was either beat to hell, over priced, "professionally" modified/seviced, or all of the above.

After placing a want ad at a few sites, an interesting offer came up for a pair of L-112s. Interesting in that the seller had the woofers refoamed with our friend Ricks surrounds and claimed the speakers to be in mint condition. I asked for some additional pictures as the term "mint" is very subjective as I have learned.

All seemed well with the only catch being the seller was located 250kms from me...
Ah what the heck, I decided to take the 500 km drive to pick these things up having absolutely no idea what they sounded like, seems nuts, no?
Anywho, I was delighted to find the speakers to be in more like NOS rather than mint condition, really.
Gave them a quick listen to make sure all the components worked and was on my way.

Luckily, after firing them up for the first time, my ears began to smile, very impressive me thinks! I`ll reserve a final judgement after I put some miles on them, positioning ect but they definitely have potential and may very well be better suited for my environment after all.
Sorry for the long rant but I just had to vent! Gotta go, Miles beckons.

DavidF
01-30-2013, 08:21 PM
I reluctantly had to give up my biamped 4430 system for something a little more condo friendly :(
It was just a matter of time before my neighbors would become less tolerant of them. Not wanting to test the limits of their patience, I decided to downgrade to maintain peace and harmony.

But downgrade to what? Having to settle for something after living with 4425s and then 4430s would not be easy. I considered something along the lines of 431x or even in the L series but was unable to find a suitable candidate. What ever came on the market was either beat to hell, over priced, "professionally" modified/seviced, or all of the above.

After placing a want ad at a few sites, an interesting offer came up for a pair of L-112s. Interesting in that the seller had the woofers refoamed with our friend Ricks surrounds and claimed the speakers to be in mint condition. I asked for some additional pictures as the term "mint" is very subjective as I have learned.

All seemed well with the only catch being the seller was located 250kms from me...
Ah what the heck, I decided to take the 500 km drive to pick these things up having absolutely no idea what they sounded like, seems nuts, no?
Anywho, I was delighted to find the speakers to be in more like NOS rather than mint condition, really.
Gave them a quick listen to make sure all the components worked and was on my way.

Luckily, after firing them up for the first time, my ears began to smile, very impressive me thinks! I`ll reserve a final judgement after I put some miles on them, positioning ect but they definitely have potential and may very well be better suited for my environment after all.
Sorry for the long rant but I just had to vent! Gotta go, Miles beckons.

Nice move, I think. The L112 will be much more abode-compatible, no doubt. I enjoyed the sound of the L112 when I lived with a mock up for a long while.

BMWCCA
01-30-2013, 08:35 PM
I've been an L112 owner for over thirty years and I think you've made a great choice! :applaud: