PDA

View Full Version : Q on expected results from active bi-amping 4344

scorpio
01-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Hello all,
I am wondering what benefit I could get from actively bi-amping my 4344 clones. I have read numerous times that you are not supposed to have heard what these types of speakers can do until you actually bi-amp them, but I have not really seen a description (in as much as it can be described...) of the sonic benefits...

What can I expect from doing so, reaching lower frequencies? increased speed or dynalics? better transparency?? How would you describe the sonic benefit?

I'm currently running mine with a pretty good passive CC network (built by Guido...). Before going to the trouble of bi amping, I'd appreciate a better understanding... THe reason is that I'm using a Mc402 amp, and I also keep reading that these amps are no good for driving the big monitors, yet I find the combination absolutely delightful... Perheaps it's not the ultimate in speed or slam, but it is very dynamic and extremely musical (to my ears...), I find the combination top notch...

So, if one (or more !) 4343 or 4344 user could describe what they heard from doing this change, I'd really appreciate! May be this would bring me a step closer to actually getting back to the soldering iron and modify my X-overs!

THanks all,

Mannermusic
01-22-2013, 03:15 PM
Hi Scorpio! Done it both ways with a DIY 4-way (15, 10, horn, UHF) and thought both were good. I'd say it is more overall system development than the specific gear. The passive has a more "cohesive" quality to my ear - one amp covering the whole musical spectrum. Actually prefer it overall. But, passive takes a lot of development. Big coils - keep the Rs under .6 ohm (like Timbers recommends). I'd borrow some gear and try both - one test is worth 1000 expert opinions! Not that hard.

ivica
01-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Hello all,
I am wondering what benefit I could get from actively bi-amping my 4344 clones. I have read numerous times that you are not supposed to have heard what these types of speakers can do until you actually bi-amp them, but I have not really seen a description (in as much as it can be described...) of the sonic benefits...

What can I expect from doing so, reaching lower frequencies? increased speed or dynalics? better transparency?? How would you describe the sonic benefit?

I'm currently running mine with a pretty good passive CC network (built by Guido...). Before going to the trouble of bi amping, I'd appreciate a better understanding... THe reason is that I'm using a Mc402 amp, and I also keep reading that these amps are no good for driving the big monitors, yet I find the combination absolutely delightful... Perheaps it's not the ultimate in speed or slam, but it is very dynamic and extremely musical (to my ears...), I find the combination top notch...

So, if one (or more !) 4343 or 4344 user could describe what they heard from doing this change, I'd really appreciate! May be this would bring me a step closer to actually getting back to the soldering iron and modify my X-overs!

THanks all,

Hello scorpio,

Most speaker's characteristics are given under voltage source supply 'conditions', that means that the output impedance that speaker "can see between it and the amplifier' is very, very small (less then 0,5 Ohms), but large inductance coil (over 4mH) in the network Low-pass section, 'interacting with the driver's motion elements' would produce several dB larger peak around 100 ~300 Hz, and can produce nasty bass response.

May this explanation would satisfy
Regards
ivica