PDA

View Full Version : speaker coating protection

gerard
10-04-2004, 07:45 AM
Hello

I have heard it can be possible to make a protective coating on the speaker ( woofer etc .. )

some says you can use wooden glue and water mixed 50/50
some uses " the wet look" see parts express
some uses polyurethane varnish.

what do you think of it .

i leave by the sea....

regards

Gerard

Robh3606
10-04-2004, 09:13 AM
How close I am 7 miles from the Atlantic and 2 from the bay with an onshore breeze almost every day so it can get nice and damp but no salt spray to deal with. All my stuff is fine. You can purchase speakers from JBL with a weatherized finish on the cones. I have a pair of M209-8 midranges and they have some kind of coating that has soaked into the cone. It's not a wet and shinny finish but a wet matte finish. I have no idea what they use. I would be very careful what you use. You don't want to add mass or change the self dampening of the cone. Assuming you have JBL drivers none of them are cheap. You could give JBL a ring. Maybe they can tell you what they use.

Rob:)

scott fitlin
10-04-2004, 10:12 AM
I am two blocks from the Atlantic ocean, and have no weather resistant coatings, or wet look on my speaker cones, my system is in an indoor building and I have never had any problems with the cones weathering from salt air!

As for the " Wet Look " available from parts express and others, I dont care for it AT ALL, looks cheap to me, and I wouldnt do it to a JBL!

As Rob stated, be careful what you do, coatings can add mass, also you might overdamp the speakers cone and change the sound somewhat! Then what? Once you have applied it to the cone, thats it, its on till you recone the speaker!

Weatherproof coatings are used when speakers are used in Direct sunlight, or where there is plenty of moisture, or actual water in the air. If you are on a boat, then it makes sense!

My motto is;

IF IT AINT BROKE, DONT FIX IT!

:cool:

Tim Rinkerman
10-04-2004, 03:32 PM
For PA systems that see alot of out door use, we have always used Scotchguard fabric protector, or Armor-All on paper cones. Neither one adds any appreciable mass or damping to the cones, but really repels water! Armor-All is also really good for coated, pleated type surrounds..it help to keep them from drying out and maintain their original softness.

GordonW
10-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Scotchgard is OK, but I wouldn't get Armor All anywhere near a foam surround. Guaranteed it'll leach out the plasticizer chemicals in the foam, making it get hard/crack sooner than usual!!

Regards,
Gordon.

Rolf
12-27-2005, 11:39 PM
I am two blocks from the Atlantic ocean, and have no weather resistant coatings, or wet look on my speaker cones, my system is in an indoor building and I have never had any problems with the cones weathering from salt air!

As for the " Wet Look " available from parts express and others, I dont care for it AT ALL, looks cheap to me, and I wouldnt do it to a JBL!

As Rob stated, be careful what you do, coatings can add mass, also you might overdamp the speakers cone and change the sound somewhat! Then what? Once you have applied it to the cone, thats it, its on till you recone the speaker!

Weatherproof coatings are used when speakers are used in Direct sunlight, or where there is plenty of moisture, or actual water in the air. If you are on a boat, then it makes sense!

My motto is;

IF IT AINT BROKE, DONT FIX IT!

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/cool.gif

Hi folks.

I just made a serach about this "problem", and ended up here. Our living room is located to the west side of the house, and because of the position of the sun in the summer a lot of direct sun light enters the room.

I have sun blocking materials both outside and inside the windows, but the woofer cones are getting a light grey finish. Does this have any affect on the cone? Performance?, or is it nothing to think about? I was also thinking about some kind of protection.

Rolf

Michael Smith
12-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Gerard
The PVA treatment we used years ago was primarily used on cloth surrounds so that they would become sealed and yes they looked shiney.
Klipsch reconing instructions insisted upon it. I've all sorts of idoitic treatments put on cones including high gloss enamel all that stuff roots the surrounds.
As one of the other boys said "If it aint broken, don't fix it"
Being in Casablanca I'd be more concerned the freezer was full of Vodka & Gin and there was ample cold beer.
Michael

Michael Smith
12-28-2005, 02:52 PM
Should read "I've seen all sorts blah blah
Michael

edgewound
12-28-2005, 03:12 PM
The easiest to apply that doesn't add much at all to the cone mass is Scotchgard Outdoor Fabric Protector. I've had good luck with Thompson's Ultra water Seal....I treated my EV FM1202 floor monitor 12" woofers...on humid or cold damp nights was a big improvement in sound quality. Years ago, the preferred treatment was clear laquer.

gerard
12-28-2005, 04:23 PM
Being in Casablanca I'd be more concerned the freezer was full of Vodka & Gin and there was ample cold beer.
Michael

Michael : Do not believe this is so hot in Casablanca ; even in summer time I can tell you it is too cold to have dinner t on the evening outside if you live on the border of the sea ( 200 meters ) . By now I only drink cold beer on lunch time when it does not rain :p ( once a week .... )

gerard

Michael Smith
12-28-2005, 07:34 PM
Hey Gerard
You have got to be pulling my leg!
I have always wanted to come to Casablanca for a few cool drinks as my vision of it has always been a hot one.
Another boyhood myth shattered along with Ricks Bar not being Micks Bar, well I guess its back to the grind.
Regards
Michael

gerard
12-29-2005, 04:15 AM
Michael

Is this hot for you ?

see pic

gerard

Michael Smith
12-29-2005, 06:50 PM
Hi Gerard
Well I'am amazed, you should come over as your beer intake may rise.
Here is an example of our weather
28/12 32c
28/12 33c
29/12 36c
30/12 39c
1/01 35c

By the way it is our summer, not bad considering we are the furtherest major city south of the equator.( except for Hobart/Tasmania )
Matter of fact I can feel a beer coming real soon
Thanks for the info
Regards
Michael