PDA

View Full Version : Help with Component Selection (Upgrade Processor vs Add Equalizer)

NatX
12-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Hi all, I have come seeking wisdom in selecting my next component upgrade.

My current setup is as follows:

AV Processor: Marantz 7701
Amplifier (5 Channel): JBL Synthesis 5165
Amplifier (2 Channel): Chord SPM 1050
Speakers: 2 JBL 4429 Studio Monitors (L/R) + 1 SAM3HA (Center) + 4 In Ceiling speakers for surrounds + 2 JBL Subs

My budget only allows me to upgrade 1 component at the moment, either change my Processor to a Synthesis processor (SDP something) or add a Synthesis Equalizer SDEC 3000 to the mix.

I cannot upgrade both because that would cost too much for now, I will upgrade both eventually when I have liquid cash to burn. My room is a dedicated Home Theatre room with acoustic treatment, but due to the small size, can get a bit boomy.

So now the question is, which should I change? The processor or add an equalizer? Which would grant the greater sonic benefit? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

more10
12-31-2012, 05:30 AM
AV7701 (http://us.marantz.com/us/products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVSeparates&ProductId=AV7701):

Audyssey Processing Delivers Balanced, Dramatic Sound
The preamp incorporates Audyssey MultEQ technology, which uses a microphone to gauge ambient sound and adjusts speaker levels accordingly. The result is a flawlessly balanced acoustic environment where sound is optimally distributed throughout the room. In addition, Audyssey DSX processing expands the front sound stage, producing a more enveloping and cinematic listening experience.

You are not happy with the automatic eq in the Marantz?

NatX
12-31-2012, 05:42 AM
The auto EQ on the Marantz has a very narrow sweet spot, also it was meant as an interim purchase to go to the SDP processor. However, now I am faced with the option of purchasing an SDEC too.

Would a Marantz (with Audessey off and EQ set flat) + SDEC combination work better than just changing the Marantz to SDP?

Thanks!

Mr. Widget
12-31-2012, 10:00 AM
The SDEC will give you better control over the system than your Marantz' Audyssey, but you will have to pay a trained JBL Synthesis calibrator to come out to your house and set it up. I would recommend going with either an Anthem Pre/Pro or an Anthem receiver (using the pre level outs). The Anthems are more "hi-fi" than the Marantz, and the ARC EQ system is superior to Audyssey. The Anthem Statement (their pre/pro) is significantly more expensive than your Marantz, but the Anthem MRX series receivers are competitively priced and are quite excellent values.

Widget