PDA

View Full Version : Lpad question

ngccglp
12-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Hi,

I have 4 and 8 ohms lpads connected directly to a 4 ohm mid and 8 ohm high driver. Will the same amount of turn for the 4 ohm lpad create the same level of attenuation in terms of loudness as the 8 ohm lpad? I.e. if I turn the 4ohm lpad by 10 degrees, and the 8 ohm lpad by 10 degrees, would it yield the same amount of attenuation for both the mid and high drivers?

thanks.

PS- I made a 4 ohm lpad by shunting a stereo 8 ohm lpad.

Ruediger
12-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Assume a frequency in the xover's passband, then the xover's impedance is almost zero (a piece of wire).

From the L-pad's perspective the shunting resistor is just another load for the amp. It has no influence on the L-pad's characteristic.

Ruediger

ngccglp
12-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Assume a frequency in the xover's passband, then the xover's impedance is almost zero (a piece of wire).

From the L-pad's perspective the shunting resistor is just another load for the amp. It has no influence on the L-pad's characteristic.

Ruediger

Hi Ruediger, thanks for the response. Actually my question is: will the same amount of turn for a 4 ohm lpad yield the same amount of loudness attenuation for a 4 ohm driver as a 8 ohm lpad does for a 8 ohm driver?

Thanks.

Ruediger
12-23-2012, 01:53 AM
As You wrote, You do not have a 4 Ohm L-pad, but rather a shunted 8 Ohm L-pad. Post a sketch of what You have.

Ruediger