PDA

View Full Version : Fix a 2242 that is not centered

baldrick
12-17-2012, 02:52 AM
I have a 2242 which is rubbing :( When I press the membrane at 3, 6 or 9 o'clock it is rubbing, but if I press at 12 o'clock it is fine, and when played on it makes bad sound (even at very low volumes).

I think it's because of a bad recoing and that it's not 100% centered.

Is there any tips to fix this without doing a recone?

Maron Horonzakz
12-17-2012, 08:39 AM
Nope !!!!

pathfindermwd
12-17-2012, 10:59 AM
I have a 2242 which is rubbing :( When I press the membrane at 3, 6 or 9 o'clock it is rubbing, but if I press at 12 o'clock it is fine, and when played on it makes bad sound (even at very low volumes).

If it's just barely rubbing..

Could you rotate it in the cab to where a little bit of gravity might help keep it from rubbing? If the driver is all alone in the cab, could the cab be laid on it's back so that the cone moves straight up and down?

edgewound
12-17-2012, 05:37 PM

The only hope...if at all possible...is to debond the surround from the frame, apply some adhesive to the frame under the surround and attempt to reposition the cone while the adhesive is still wet and tacks into place. It's best to have a sine wave generator of some sort 30-60hz about 3-10 volts input to dynamically center the cone/voice coil while under signal and pressing the surround into place. If the surround was pressed down uneven when reconed previously it might have cocked the voice coil out of alignment causing the rub. Are you sure the frame isn't bent/warped from being dropped? If so...most likely all bets are off for saving it.

If the cone assembly is OEM the gaskets should be removable without too much trouble. A heat gun works well for that, or a hot blow dryer.

It's worth a try since it's pretty useless under power now. Good luck.

baldrick
12-18-2012, 02:37 AM
Thanx!

It's OEM cone so I better give it a try, it's more or less useless now anyway :)