PDA

View Full Version : Sovereign C60 Cabinet Refinishing

Caledon Ken
12-12-2012, 05:52 PM
I have a couple of Sovereign C60's S8R's. The cabinets need some real work. There are small chips in the tops that I'm concerned would show after refinishing.

When I examine the cabinets I think JBL used solid wood around the cabinet bases, the border of the tops and borders of the sides. That said, I'm sure the large flat panels surfaces that make the up the top and the two large square panels on either side appear to be wood veneer over what I will guess is particle like board.

I'm thinking I would replace the wood veneer on the flat tops and maybe even the flat sides as part of the overall cabinet refinish.

Now if the borders around the bases, sides, and top are also wood veneer I'm not sure I would even think of replacing veneer on these complex objects / shapes.

So my questions to all those that have blazed this trail before me, is my assessment correct.

1) Are the cabinet bases, the borders around the tops and borders around the sides solid wood? (Hopefully Oak)
2) Are the three larger flat surface panels that make up the top and two sides veneer?

Thanks

Audiobeer
12-12-2012, 07:16 PM
The only solid wood is the 3 top pieces that surround the very top of the cabinet. Everything else is particle board with veneer covering it

Caledon Ken
12-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Thanks.

Wow. Refinishing these cabinets could be a very interesting project.

I guess you must have done a pair to know this information. Did you just refinish or did you replace veneer?

Appreciate the response.

subwoof
12-12-2012, 09:51 PM
A pair of sovereigns ( or Olympus - can't remember at the moment ) I picked up some time ago are made of oak veneered particle board with solid oak trim pieces - the whole cabinet was then coated in a kind of green semi-transparent finish...and to top it off the folded fabric grills are *red*. Love to know who came up with these color schemes.

Fortunately the factory finish is flaking off so getting down to bare wood shouldn't be any trouble and I can then stain them to match the old house ( dark oak ) they will reside in next year. The tops will either be covered with a 3/8 thick tempered glass panel OR I might inlay 1/8 smoked glass into the non-solid wood area...AKA the L65 look.

The component selection, crossover and such isn't determined yet but I was leaning towards a 4435 type setup since I have a pair of crossovers, horns/drivers and perhaps using (4) LE14A's. the baskets are 12.75" square so the baffle area would be just big enough.

should be a fun project. It would be nice to restore them to original but performance - wise I'd like to update them in range and power. Just selling off some of the components can pay for the whole conversion and these just don't get the bucks like the old monitors do.

sub

yggdrasil
12-13-2012, 01:01 AM
On the Sovereign's the large flat panels (top and sides) are veneer on particle board. Trims/Borders and base are solid oak.

Repairng damages to the oak are quite forgiving due to the rich stain.

Audiobeer
12-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Ken, post some pics and we will sure try to give you some ideals. Pics of the tops and sides!

Caledon Ken
12-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Thank you all. I will set up photo studio, well I'll call it that, and take some pictures. I do have some pictures in another thread.

Not to create controversy however it appears there must have been two production models of these cabinets. In "yggdrasil" response within this thread his findings are what I think I have however earlier in the thread "Audiobeer" states the only solid wood within the cabinet is the border around the top.

Is it possible that as JBL wanted to be more price competitive that they introduced a model of the cabinet with more veneer and less solid wood?

I'm heading downstairs to see if under closer examination I can determine what my model of the cabinet has. I guess sand papering the back side of the base should produce a definite answer, at least with respect to the base.

Caledon Ken
12-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Outcome of sanding base and ....

In my model of these cabinets the base is solid wood. Sanding the other trim was not practical. Seems a great deal of the "damage" is flaked off finish except on one cabinet at the back edge where you can just see the particle board. Some good scratches on both but if I get lucky these might be addressed with some sanding. The finish is really thick and appears to have been a protective blessing. I tried sanding some marks with a little fine sand paper and a block but stopped as this process would be better after the finish is removed.

I got into a discussion with my wife about replacing veneer and then the real question popped up. My wife asked if I did refinish the cabinets where was I planning on installing them? They're in the basement right now but anyone owning a set of these knows you need a room with very generous proportions. Back to issue at hand.

Has anyone gone so far as to replace veneer, even one panel?

As to stripping existing finish.... anyone care to offer up what product you used?

I've reposted existing pictures. Additional pictures to come.

Mr. Widget
12-15-2012, 01:50 PM
I got into a discussion with my wife about replacing veneer and then the real question popped up. My wife asked if I did refinish the cabinets where was I planning on installing them? They're in the basement right now but anyone owning a set of these knows you need a room with very generous proportions.I continually wrestle with this... I see a new speaker that beckons or I dream up a new DIY project... but where will I put them?

Good luck on the project and finding the right place for them.

Widget