PDA

View Full Version : Best cable terminals for 4345?

Cornholio
12-07-2012, 02:56 AM
Hi, I'm buying the pair of original 4345's and they have the vintage cable terminals which are completely useless with modern spades and bananas. Which cable terminals should I replace them with?

hjames
12-07-2012, 03:42 AM
Hi, I'm buying the pair of original 4345's and they have the vintage cable terminals which are completely useless with modern spades and bananas. Which cable terminals should I replace them with?

Yeah, I HATE those cheap old JBL push pin connectors.

A good pair of 5-way connections will allow you to use large cable, bananas or spade ended cable.
Mount them close enough together so you can use dual bananas if you like.

See this thread for specifics - http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?23092-What-kind-of-Cables-are-you-using-for-your-4345s-or-any-type-of-Horn-speakers

Here are the kind of Dual bananas BMWCCA talked me into using - they are great!

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=42820&stc=1&d=1258163589

SEAWOLF97
12-07-2012, 08:15 AM
do you mean the binding posts on the rear of speakers ? :dont-know:

Cornholio
12-07-2012, 10:20 AM
do you mean the binding posts on the rear of speakers ? :dont-know:

Yes.

hjames
12-07-2012, 12:40 PM
I made a small panel out of thin plywood for my L200 cabinets, mounted it in the space where the original panel had been,
but on my panel I mounted 2 pairs of 5 way terminals from Parts Express here in the US ... This is an old picture from 2007 -
at that time I did not know about dual banana connectors like I showed you in a previous post, but I've redone them a few months ago.

Here is the part number - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=091-340

My L200s are 3 ways with external horns, on them the lower terminals are power in for the system -
the upper terminals I use for midrange out of the crossover and have my walnut horns connected there.

I did something very similar on the 4341 Monitors I used to have.
They were run in biAmp mode - I had them wired so the lower terminals went directly to the woofer and
I used the upper pair to feed an internal 3-way crossover that fed the midbass, horn tweeter and super tweeter.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=23707&stc=1&d=1173041444

richluvsound
12-07-2012, 01:31 PM
I use these people ..... they carry quality products for any budget... Pics Soon I hope ?

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/binding_posts.html

MikeBrewster77
12-07-2012, 02:23 PM
I lucked out in that I didn't have to custom fabricate anything on my L46s, but definitely agree that getting rid of those twist lock thingies was a must! :yes:

gasfan
12-07-2012, 02:32 PM
You can't beat WBTs.

Heather, do those spring parts spin on the shaft? If they do, imo they are an inferior design. Because now you have the signal arcing from one part to the other. Better are bananas are that are cross-split down the middle but the best imo are those that are a tube split down one side.

hjames
12-07-2012, 03:05 PM
My 4641 sub has those lousy push-pin terminals - I just haven't pulled that 18 inch driver
so I can replace the connectors on that terminal panel! Hate those junk connectors - and on PRO gear!!

Anyway, the OP's question was about terminals - and I recommended 5 way posts.
The comment I made was to be sure whatever he used that he mounted it on the back of the speaker
with the spacing for dual plugs - they can't short out your amp like single plugs on the end of leads.

But for the PLUGS, I've been using single bananas (with setscrews) from Parts Express for places with non-standard plug spacing -
like the Jolida Tube amp, and the B&K AV-5000. But one of the folks in AK recommended these, so I just got a set of 8 of them to try out.
The logic there is that nearly the entire surface will be in contact with this design,
instead of just the centers of the springy part with the regular design. We'll find out!

http://www.speakerrepair.com/page/product/WF8.html - $26 for 8 of them, shipped.

The Pamona dual plugs spring parts don't spin that I can see,
and I don't believe the Parts Express Plug spring parts can't spin either.

You can't beat WBTs.

Heather, do those spring parts spin on the shaft? If they do, imo they are an inferior design. Because now you have the signal arcing from one part to the other. Better are bananas are that are cross-split down the middle but the best imo are those that are a tube split down one side.

gasfan
12-08-2012, 05:39 AM
That is the type I use also. Different brand. However if you change gear often as I do, they eventually fatigue and break off at the base. They could be a little thicker.

Mike F
12-08-2012, 09:09 PM
I replaced mine with these

They are WBT knock-offs at about $4 apeice.

ivica
12-09-2012, 07:22 AM
[QUOTE=Cornholio;340900]Hi, I'm buying the pair of original 4345's and they have the vintage cable terminals which are completely useless with modern spades and bananas. Which cable terminals should I replace them with?[/QUOTE
I am wondering every time when such themes are 'on the table', why is so important what kind of cable terminals are used. We have to be aware that most of the internal wiring of the power amplifiers use "ordinary" wires, PCB etc.

I am sure that any practical terminals are good enough, from the electrical point of view.

Regards
Ivica

gasfan
12-09-2012, 07:33 AM
[QUOTE=Cornholio;340900]Hi, I'm buying the pair of original 4345's and they have the vintage cable terminals which are completely useless with modern spades and bananas. Which cable terminals should I replace them with?[/QUOTE
I am wondering every time when such themes are 'on the table', why is so important what kind of cable terminals are used. We have to be aware that most of the internal wiring of the power amplifiers use "ordinary" wires, PCB etc.

I am sure that any practical terminals are good enough, from the electrical point of view.

Regards
Ivica
Of course, the issue is a good mechanical connection

Lee in Montreal
12-09-2012, 12:34 PM
I'd say that a good connector is NO connector. Banana plugs are very quick to connect and therefore are very practical, but they are also another layer, electrically speaking. ;)

gasfan
12-10-2012, 04:51 AM
I once hardwired a pair of Kef105/2s to a pair of Meridian 105s as an experiment. While listening to music, I used a large pair of channel lock pliers to press the connection in hot solder at the speakers. What I heard in that moment was astonishing.