PDA

View Full Version : Strange Kind of Kit

alpacou
12-03-2012, 04:38 AM
Hello everybody !

Fist post from France on your legendary and impressive forum, i hope you will forgive my english style !

I get from a studio maintenance technicin the speakers of what is suppose to be an Appolito monitor build by Mr Hidley near Paris for a mastering room.
The kit consist of 4 2205h reconed with 2225h original jbl parts, 2 westlake horn with 2441 and two 2405 .
The originals westlake horn where remove from the monitors and they are not in a very good shape. Its a pity.
There is à priori no adapder beetween the driver and the horn, they are just "glued" and wire do the rest. This one if i beleve the story is directly inside the throat of the horn.
So i have to séparate the 2441 from the horn and see what i find...

Have a good day.

alpacou
01-01-2013, 11:33 AM
I am not very surprising nor happy with what i find after very carrefuly removing one 2441. C'est un massacre !

It look like it was used with an adapter that was for a (bad) reason pull off in a very special way.
It will take a long time before i can use these nice pairs ... cleaning, restoring and making adapters.
Any thought ?
But after a lot of reading, particulary what Mr.Widget write here, i am septic about the ideal use of the westlake down to around 500hz (that was the fs that talk about my seller).
I will do some kind of Tsm1 with the 4 x 2205/25H and a 2446 mounted on a th4001 clone or Yuichi Arai 290.

Happy new year to all of you .

loach71
01-01-2013, 07:31 PM
I am not very surprising nor happy with what i find after very carrefuly removing one 2441. C'est un massacre !

It look like it was used with an adapter that was for a (bad) reason pull off in a very special way.
It will take a long time before i can use these nice pairs ... cleaning, restoring and making adapters.
Any thought ?
But after a lot of reading, particulary what Mr.Widget write here, i am septic about the ideal use of the westlake down to around 500hz (that was the fs that talk about my seller).
I will do some kind of Tsm1 with the 4 x 2205/25H and a 2446 mounted on a th4001 clone or Yuichi Arai 290.

Happy new year to all of you .

I would send the "horns" to the fireplace. Shockingly, I have seen worse examples of :screwy:"workmanship":screwy:. New horns that work well with those drivers can be obtained on EBay... The drivers are quite useable, and with some maintenance would be quite serviceable!

:cheers:Best of luck to you on your new build!:cheers:

alpacou
01-04-2013, 06:45 AM
Thanks for your encouragements Kludge,

I will not fire the westlake horns, they are piece of history and even in poor condition they sound good with the 2441s.
Once a long restoration done and the right adapter cut, it is still a good solution for a 800/1200hz to 6/8khz from my point of vue.
The 2441 removed look ok and the plastic part inside seem intact, i will do measurements.

Bonjour chez vous.

alpacou
01-04-2013, 08:00 AM
Sorry loach71 for calling you kludge, it's a mistake...
And one more about the 2205s.
They were reconed with original 2205 kit not the 2225.

After entering T&Sparameters of the 2205h in winisd, it look like these drivers are mid/bass, xmax and pe are limited .
A 80 liters, 2.8 ft cu, sealed enclosure for a pair start with 0.5 qtc when drivers are cold and became 0.7 qtc with 80°c.
Look good to match a 2245h around 60/80hz @ -6db and a 2123h after 240/300hz. With the possibility to ad 2 ports of 10 cm diameter for a 30hz tunning if it sound not enought punchy .
Or is there another mistake ?

alpacou
09-01-2013, 04:21 AM
This nice pair is also strange, no ?

Does anybody ever seen some Westlake like these one?

It look like originals but with spécial design, larger than current smith/westie one and fins differents than regulars at least for the shape of their end and the big center one.

Measurements will give informations, on the effect of dispertion .

The adapter for the cd is very very simple :/