PDA

View Full Version : JBL L-166 Speakers Repair or Replace?

dweiss
11-29-2012, 09:31 PM
I have a pair of JBL L-166 speakers first purchased in 1978. The woofer's are dead (the foam around the cones is completely gone), and I cannot be sure how the other elements are at this point. These were the perfect speakers for my needs and taste and I would really like to hear that quality again.

So, my questions here are: should I repair or replace them?

If repair, any suggestions on how and where to get this done in the Los Angeles area would be appreciated.

If replace, what would you recommend as a replacement speaker for the L-166?

Lastly, of course, any information that can be provided regarding cost for each of the options would be very useful. I got a great deal on these in 1978 but, as they say, that was then! As well, I have been out of the market for quite a while.

Thanks,

-Danny.

Mike F
11-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Hi and welcome Danny. You can easily refoam the speakers yourself or have them done professionaly, either way, use good quality replacement surrounds.
Look into kits sold by Rick Cobb aka looneytunes2001 on Ebay, I as well as many here have had good experiences with his products and service.

AmericanPie
11-29-2012, 11:29 PM
Hi Danny,

They're definitely worth getting repaired and here's where I go to have mine done (Orange County Speaker in Garden Grove):

http://www.speakerrepair.com/

Here's their pricing on re-foaming (they call it "re-edging"):

http://www.speakerrepair.com/page/REEDPRC.html

If you still want to "upgrade" and stay with a similar-size speaker, the L112 would probably be a good choice. Nice pairs are selling on eBay for ~$800-$1000.

Larry

HCSGuy
11-30-2012, 12:52 AM
PM member Edgewound - he is a JBL authorized servicer and is in Upland, CA.

http://www.uplandloudspeaker.com/

I'm in NoCal and have a good tech up here, but from seeing his work, I don't think you're going to find anyone better.

Good luck, and post pictures of your completed work:)

SEAWOLF97
11-30-2012, 09:12 AM
would wire them to amp, lay them on backs (drivers pointing UP) , give them low signal and put ear up to each driver to check function. Since the foam surrounds are gone, this alignment will keep the woofers centered...they are nice speakers and well worth a little maintenance money.

yes, refoaming isn't difficult , but if this is your first ... I'd let a PRO do it .. remember - specify that the foam lip goes on REAR of cone.

Doc Mark
11-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Greetings,

Congrats on your L166's. Nice speakers, and well worth refurbishing. I, too, would heartily recommend giving Edgewound a shout. I've had great work done by him several times, and have sent friends there, too. All of us continue to be very impressed by the quality of Ken's work!! You won't find better, that's for sure, just be prepared to wait a bit, as he's pretty busy with all the work that comes his way, most of the time. Worth the wait, IMHO! Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

P.S. Here is some contact info for Ken ("edgewound"), at his shop, Upland Loudspeaker Service :

[email protected]

1-888-990-1049

shaansloan
11-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Greetings,

Congrats on your L166's. Nice speakers, and well worth refurbishing. I, too, would heartily recommend giving Edgewound a shout. I've had great work done by him several times, and have sent friends there, too. All of us continue to be very impressed by the quality of Ken's work!! You won't find better, that's for sure, just be prepared to wait a bit, as he's pretty busy with all the work that comes his way, most of the time. Worth the wait, IMHO! Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

P.S. Here is some contact info for Ken ("edgewound"), at his shop, Upland Loudspeaker Service :

[email protected]

1-888-990-1049

I have used Ken "Edgewound" several times also....his work is always excellent.... but takes a while.... Those great old JBL's are well worth refurbing.... you probably only need a refoam on your woofers and you good for another 25 years... God Bless, Shaan

Guy in WNY
12-01-2012, 12:00 PM
I just sold on ebay a nice pair of L-166 Horizons that I acquired locally.Ran a 3 day auction. Started it at $400. They sold for $588. :DJust to give you an idea of replacement cost...The transducers were all good but one had two dents in the dust cap (see photo), the grills had come unglued a bit here and there.Great sounding speakers, but just no room for them.

dweiss
12-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Thank you to everyone that replied regarding the repair of my JBL L-166 speakers.

I have looked at both the www.speakerrepair.com (http://www.speakerrepair.com) and www.uplandloudspeaker.com (http://www.uplandloudspeaker.com) sites that were recommended and also contacted both vendors. Unless someone has a better reason to choose one versus the other, www.speakerrepair.com (http://www.speakerrepair.com) is a bit less expensive and I am inclined to use them, although I have yet to figure out the shipping issue.

Any additional advice would still be appreciated. As I indicated, I have owned these speakers since 1978 and, while the cabinets are a bit scratched and the like, everything except the woofers seems intact so I will be getting them repaired. I have been using some temporary speakers that are modern but much more at the lower end of the scale from the JBLs, so it will be nice to restore the sound system to its former glory!

Finally ---

a) I have noticed the L-166s referred to both by the model number and as "Horizons." My units only provide the model number, without reference to the Horizon name. Is there any particular meaning to that? and,

b) I noticed the reference to a serial number database elsewhere on the forum. Is this actually a functional database? I would be happy to provide the numbers on my speakers if that is an ongoing interest here.

Thanks again,

-Danny.

HCSGuy
12-07-2012, 09:24 PM
I've got 3 LE-14H1's that the previous owner had refoamed by speakerrepair and they are all done on the wrong side - I'm not saying they'll screw yours up too, but it seems like cheap insurance to have a one man shop with a stellar reputation do the work versus a shop with a multiple techs, and a lesser reputation. It may cost a little more, and it may take a little longer, but I'd make the investment.

edgewound
12-07-2012, 09:25 PM
a) I have noticed the L-166s referred to both by the model number and as "Horizons." My units only provide the model number, without reference to the Horizon name. Is there any particular meaning to that? and,

b) I noticed the reference to a serial number database elsewhere on the forum. Is this actually a functional database? I would be happy to provide the numbers on my speakers if that is an ongoing interest here.

Thanks again,

-Danny.

These were made from 1975-1979...and at some point...typically when the next revised model was given the "-A" designation, the name was dropped in favor of the L-Series model number.