PDA

View Full Version : Any prior exp taking apart Altec Lansing Magnificent (A7)

GF_Workman
11-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Hi -

I need to repair the grill on an Altec Lansing Magnificent (a whole other problem). Related to that, I am going to have to take it apart and before I get into that I was wondering if anybody has done that before? Is it going to be an hour or a day? Does the grill just slide out once the top is off, or is it glued in there?

Thanks,
George

Earl K
11-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Look up all older posts from "Wardsweb" ( Luther ) either here or over at AudioKarma .

Also search out olderposts from "rloggie" .They would know the answer about removing the grill ( since at least one of those two used to own a pair of stock Magnificents ) .

Luther also applies a lot of nice custom veneers to his projects ( so I figure he knows how to rip things apart & put them back together nicely ) .

:)

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3275&stc=1&d=1093447513

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3276&stc=1&d=1093447612

GF_Workman
11-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Lee in Montreal
11-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Nice. It's the first time I see this variation of the A7. Has it lost it port?

hatrack71
12-01-2012, 04:41 AM
Don't try to remove it! It will break in a million pieces. Fix it in place if you plan to keep these original. Earl, those look nice, especially the grills.

grumpy
12-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Nice. It's the first time I see this variation of the A7. Has it lost it port?

look closely, directly under the horn...

rooferben
03-21-2023, 04:20 PM
I have what I believe is the first type of Magnificent’s made. They have the flat lattice work not the curved. Turn them upside down. Then remove a small wood strip at the now top of the lattice. The lattice will now slide out. Be careful but that’s how I removed my without any damage.

spkrman57
03-29-2023, 09:23 AM
I have what I believe is the first type of Magnificent’s made. They have the flat lattice work not the curved. Turn them upside down. Then remove a small wood strip at the now top of the lattice. The lattice will now slide out. Be careful but that’s how I removed my without any damage.

Post some pics if you can.

Ben sent me pics of his work.

Regards, Ron