PDA

View Full Version : Mini DSP Digital Crossovers

Odd
11-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Someone who has tested, that can share experiences?
How do they sound?
Are they good with JBL monitors?

more10
11-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Plenty of reading in diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/minidsp/).

Odd
11-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Someone who has tested, that can share experiences?
How do they sound?
Are they good with JBL monitors?

Anyone?

4313B
11-28-2012, 03:53 PM
I have one. I haven't had time to hook it up to the Everest II clones yet.

Turner
12-16-2012, 08:09 PM
I use the miniStreamer, 1 miniDigi and 2 2x4 kits with 2.1-Way ADV plugins for a 4-way system (Subs/MB on one board, MF/HF on the other). The 2.1 plugin has subwoofer mono summing, which is why I chose it over the 4-way plugin. I've had the 2x4's since early 2011, I added the miniStreamer and miniDigi boards last summer. One of the 2x4's failed, it was replaced under warranty.

I'm happy with the performance. I believe 3rd party measurements can be found at diyaudio.com in the miniDSP Manufacturer's Forum.

For best results, control volume either digitally with the potentiometer option or use separate controls between the miniDSP and power amps. If your power amps require more than .9 Vrms input to reach full rated output, consider the balanced miniDSP. If your source is a PC, I would recommend following the sweetwater.com PC Optimization Guide for your OS, along with the miniStreamer/miniDigi combo to bypass soundcard DAC's and the ADC stage of the miniDSP.

Odd
12-17-2012, 01:10 PM
I use the miniStreamer, 1 miniDigi and 2 2x4 kits with 2.1-Way ADV plugins for a 4-way system (Subs/MB on one board, MF/HF on the other). The 2.1 plugin has subwoofer mono summing, which is why I chose it over the 4-way plugin. I've had the 2x4's since early 2011, I added the miniStreamer and miniDigi boards last summer. One of the 2x4's failed, it was replaced under warranty.

I'm happy with the performance. I believe 3rd party measurements can be found at diyaudio.com in the miniDSP Manufacturer's Forum.

For best results, control volume either digitally with the potentiometer option or use separate controls between the miniDSP and power amps. If your power amps require more than .9 Vrms input to reach full rated output, consider the balanced miniDSP. If your source is a PC, I would recommend following the sweetwater.com PC Optimization Guide for your OS, along with the miniStreamer/miniDigi combo to bypass soundcard DAC's and the ADC stage of the miniDSP.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Turner
12-17-2012, 04:16 PM
To add- there is a steep learning curve and the documentation isn't always up to date. The following 2x4 configuration doc shows the previous 30 pin "Special Connectors", the current supplied connectors have 28 pins. One misplaced pin in this case could damage the boards and void your warranty.

http://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/miniDIGI + 2 miniDSP v1.pdf

Also, be careful when ordering, some parts are incompatible and the website/docs are not always clear. For example, the 2x4 kits will not work with the USBstreamer, DIGI-FP and VOL-FP. In this case the proper parts would be the miniStreamer, miniDIGI and Volume Control Pot.

Hope this helps.