PDA

View Full Version : Disparity in Woofer Pair Ohm Readings

siennablue
11-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Both of these woofers (JBL 126A) have deteriorated foam surrounds - can anyone tell me why the disparity in the measurements ? .. one reads 4 ohms, the other reads 16 ... Thanks in advance,

Tom

subwoof
11-18-2012, 07:10 PM
have seen this a number of times - while your meter is connected to the 16 ohm one wiggle the leadwires and/or the terminal's to see if it changes. If this doesn't work, have a speaker repair place replace the tinsel leads before you pronounce the speaker cone damaged.

sub

siennablue
11-18-2012, 11:08 PM
have seen this a number of times - while your meter is connected to the 16 ohm one wiggle the lead wires and/or the terminal's to see if it changes. If this doesn't work, have a speaker repair place replace the tinsel leads before you pronounce the speaker cone damaged.
sub

Using the min/max function while wiggling the lead wires where I was reading 16 ohms, I am reading a high of 19 and a low of .4 - thank you for the tip, but what does that tell me? .. and the other one which was reading 4 ohms has a high of 62 and a low of .2 when wiggling the wires.

subwoof
11-20-2012, 05:32 PM
you are reading what isn't there....digital meters are fine BUT interpreting the min/max reading without a serious electronic background is confusing at best.

sounds like they are just fine - when you have them refoamed tell the guy to bench them..

:)

siennablue
11-20-2012, 07:54 PM
you are reading what isn't there....digital meters are fine BUT interpreting the min/max reading without a serious electronic background is confusing at best.

sounds like they are just fine - when you have them refoamed tell the guy to bench them..

:)

Thank you .. I wasn't putting any opinion into my reading, just that I was getting fluctuations .. will pass this on to whomever restores them.

11-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Thank you .. I wasn't putting any opinion into my reading, just that I was getting fluctuations .. will pass this on to whomever restores them.

Also realize that some ohmmeters are very sensitive to the voltage created by even the smallest cone movement...