PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio, need to replace Bose

JBLAddict
11-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Hi All,

just picked up a lifetime dream car (yeah, throwing that out here too :D) but unfortunately it's equipped with one of the worst sounding Bose speaker systems possible. It's bloated, muffled, unbearably imbalanced, and lifeless, no matter how much EQ I apply can't get anything to sound "right".....yet they have the audacity to brag about the 9speaker bose system as a high point in the literature!

I've never replaced car audio before and don't really know where to start. Was browsing the harmanaudio website and GTO series speakers. I have no idea if I can simply pop out the existing and replace with similar diameter speakers, or if there are a variety of impedence and crossover issue to worry about....or ideally, are 2way 5-1/4's all the same? I see combo speakers and mid+tweeter separates with an attached xover? :confused: Hoping if I leave the existing electonics and simply replace the drivers I can make the sound match the otherwise exhilarating performance of the vehicle itself

thx

PS didn't see a place to post car audio by name, so if in the wrong place pls "MOD"

just4kinks
11-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Nice car.

My 300zx came stock with a Bose system. They may have improved over the years, but back in the '90s they were very awkward and non-standard. The head unit did not have a built in amplifier, instead there were individual amplifiers built into all the speaker enclosures. The drivers themselves were a weird size and impedance, and the enclosure was tuned to a frequency that didn't suit most replacements anyways. The only real solution was to replace everything.

In the end, I spent a lot of money, and all the sound quality was drowned out by engine noise and road noise anyways. I came to the conclusion that sports cars are for driving fast, and hi-fi should stay in the livingroom.

Anyways, your Bose system is probably very specific to your model car. I suggest you find a good vette forum, I'm sure that you're not the first person to rip out the Bose!

JBLAddict
11-11-2012, 07:33 AM
great advice thank you! the drivers so seem to be custom wedged into the door panels and of oddball sizes. as you know, the road and engine noise can be very heavy, and probably would negate the effect of all that work. at 436HP, the car is designed for one thing, performance, and optimized audio is probably unrealistic.

robertbartsch
11-12-2012, 08:52 AM
my 99 camaro SS has bose speakers. In my applicaiton, there are no amps located at the speaker mounting locations.....

basicallly, a horrible sound system. The drivers are flimsy and have very tiny magnets.....

I have long tube headers on the engine and a very warmed over motor, so audio enjoyment is not a priority in this car...

...you milage may differ...

Mike F
11-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Dude, isnt a V8 LS motor/exhaust tone music enough?:)

JBLAddict
11-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Dude, isnt a V8 LS motor/exhaust tone music enough?:)

Actually you're making an extremely valid point

The rumble/growle of the LS3 + the roar of the upgraded dual mode exhaust are more of what you pay to listen to, not drown out.

Ive found myself abandoning the idea of cruising music on the highway, and enjoying the experience more after turning the radio off and listening to the sound that pairs perfectly with a 3.95 0-60 and 193mph top speed ;-)

Regis
11-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Actually you're making an extremely valid point

The rumble/growle of the LS3 + the roar of the upgraded dual mode exhaust are more of what you pay to listen to, not drown out.

Ive found myself abandoning the idea of cruising music on the highway, and enjoying the experience more after turning the radio off and listening to the sound that pairs perfectly with a 3.95 0-60 and 193mph top speed ;-)

Welcome to the Corvette world and congrats on your C6. I fully agree on the Bose system. I have one in my 95' C4 and that'll be a project next year. The install on a Corvette is different than a regular car, because there's nowhere to ground the external components to, you have to run them back to the unit. Putting a stereo in a 'Vette is never easy!

Agreed on blast to drive! I have two 'Vettes now, having just picked up a 74' Stingray a month ago, and that car has no stereo whatsoever. It has no dash either, or instruments, but it does run and drive well!

I'm looking at the GTO series too for my C3. JBL makes some of their 10" and 12" subwoofers in a special 'flat' packaging so as to take as little room as possible. Your C6 is spacious compared to a C3! I think I can fit two gym bags side-by-side in my 74'!