PDA

View Full Version : Listening to SRX738

martin_wu99
11-02-2012, 10:01 AM
I have listened to SRX838(Pos have recommended to me for home use) finally this afternoon in CHONGQING city,SRX738 is not so big and heavy,it seems lack of some ultra high,not airy and fresh,but relatively softer than other pro cabinets,not give me deep impression,maybe bacause of poor quality CD player and rubbish pro amplifier:banghead:

Any comment will be wellcomed
:applaud:

martin_wu99
11-02-2012, 10:07 AM
I noticed a strange thing,SRX738 is made in USA,but SRX725(next to SRX738 in the photo) is made in Mexico:confused:

pos
11-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi Martin,

First let me clarify something: I see you already posted several times that I strongly recommend the SRX738. That is not really the case ;)
I only told you that the components were very good indeed, and that the speaker was reasonably priced and probably the closest thing to a big 43XX studio monitor in JBL's current PA offering (as you seem to dislike current JBL consumer gears and like big vintage monitors and cabaret boxes).

I know someone in France using these speakers at home, replacing some fine DIY speakers (Drew Daniels style, dual 15"+10"+2").
At first he was not very impressed, especially by the 18", but after some tuning and mods he is now a happy user.

First he completely removed the passive filter and used an active 6-way DSP crossover with EQ.
Secondly (and probably the most important point) he raised the speakers off the floor (as you would do with a 4345 for example, to avoid issues with that 18" that goes pretty high in the midbass).
These two first points have to go together and are very important: if you look at the pdf in the SRX tunning zip file (http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/support/getfile.aspx?doctype=3&docid=889) as well as the spec sheet (http://www.jblpro.com/BackOffice/ProductAttachments/JBL_SRX738.v1.pdf) you will notice that the 18" require some EQ...

He also replaced the 2431 with a 2452 to remove some problems in the UHF (which have to do with the phasing plug of the 2431 not really liking the very short PT waveguide...), and get a sound he prefers in the highs (coming from a 2446H in his previous system).

I think he also added some bracing, and bitumen layers to dampen the cabs...

martin_wu99
11-04-2012, 06:16 AM
Hi Martin,

First let me clarify something: I see you already posted several times that I strongly recommend the SRX738. That is not really the case ;)
I only told you that the components were very good indeed, and that the speaker was reasonably priced and probably the closest thing to a big 43XX studio monitor in JBL's current PA offering (as you seem to dislike current JBL consumer gears and like big vintage monitors and cabaret boxes).

I know someone in France using these speakers at home, replacing some fine DIY speakers (Drew Daniels style, dual 15"+10"+2").
At first he was not very impressed, especially by the 18", but after some tuning and mods he is now a happy user.

First he completely removed the passive filter and used an active 6-way DSP crossover with EQ.
Secondly (and probably the most important point) he raised the speakers off the floor (as you would do with a 4345 for example, to avoid issues with that 18" that goes pretty high in the midbass).
These two first points have to go together and are very important: if you look at the pdf in the SRX tunning zip file (http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/support/getfile.aspx?doctype=3&docid=889) as well as the spec sheet (http://www.jblpro.com/BackOffice/ProductAttachments/JBL_SRX738.v1.pdf) you will notice that the 18" require some EQ...

He also replaced the 2431 with a 2452 to remove some problems in the UHF (which have to do with the phasing plug of the 2431 not really liking the very short PT waveguide...), and get a sound he prefers in the highs (coming from a 2446H in his previous system).

I think he also added some bracing, and bitumen layers to dampen the cabs...
Hi Pos
I just want to say,thanks for your recommendation.you know my goal is to find some real good PA speakers that can challenge those expensive 43XX monitors and can be used in home,it's a tough job,but you did give me a good choice.
Thank you for the example.
Active 6-way DSP crossover with EQ???could you give me more details?:bouncy: