PDA

View Full Version : Help with Mid Frequency cabinets

Owen_OZ
10-25-2012, 08:16 PM
hi

i am after some guidance with choosing the type of mid cabs for a system i am currently putting together for small outdoor parties of between 150 to 300 people playing bass heavy electronic dance music.

what i currently have is two home made dual 18 subs loaded with JBL 2241's powered by a quest 4004 and have just recently had the best score at rubbish tip of two Altec 811B horns and one 808-8A driver for 30 bucks!!

I also have a dbx driverack that ill be using to cross the whole system

so my first question is are the altec horns and provided i can find a second one, the drivers worth using ??

second is what sort of mid cabinets should i put between them, from what ive read jbls 15' drivers arnt great for mid bass so was considering building 2 dual 12" cabinets then if i wanted down the track just build two more dual 18s and two more dual 12's to boost the system for bigger gigs (a LONG way down the track mind you)

i am a novice cabinet builder so the most likely type of cab i would like to build is a reflex or ported bin

cheers and much appreciated

Lee in Montreal
10-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Try finding a pair of 4560 (see picture below). They will do midbass and midrange very well. Usually they are given away.

BTW For 300 people you can quadruple your woofers, especially for bass heavy elecronic music. I suggest to start looking at horn loaded bass bins.

Owen_OZ
11-06-2012, 09:55 PM
cheers lee

i do realise more subs will be essential with that number of people but i just want to get a system up and running first then build on it

older jbl stuff is harder to find here in Australia but i will keep those in mind

ive found 8 2202's for sale for $220 each (hopfully a bit cheaper if i buy all 8) im thinking of building some some basic dual reflex cabs for them for mid bass and then possibly looking for a pair of dual 15's and split the mids into high and low later on what do you think

i know im leaving out alot of other factors here but am just getting started on building a system and throwing abound some ideas

cheers for any help

more10
11-07-2012, 12:16 AM
150 AUD is reasonable for one driver. 100 AUD each for all eight.

JBL 2220, K130, E130, D130 are all very good for midrange because of their light cones. But not for bass though.

E120 is nice too if you want 12".