PDA

View Full Version : Altec Lansing "Lido"

JeepNut
10-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Hi all,
I wanted to document what I could about a pair of Altec Lido speakers that used to be my dads.
I spent a good deal of time on this forum and others, various websites, weird sites, and talking to local audio professionals to gather up information such that I could write a little story, mostly for our family and friends about these marvelous speakers.

It's a bit long, but I found it interesting to research and present, and others that have read it seem to enjoy it.
But it won't attach on the forums because it's so large. It has photos, etc.

So I've put the whole thing on a site that I maintain and thought I'd share it that way for those on these forums who might be interested.

If you'd like to read the article, just go here:
http://streetcomanches.zohosites.com/ (totally noncommercial / nothing for sale / no registrations, etc.)
then on the left side, Totally Irrelevant / My Altec Lansing ramble.

Please feel free to contact me to correct any significant errors in accuracy or details.
Hope someone else finds it as interesting as we all did.

Mike F
10-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Thank you for posting such a well written, interesting and informative article, a wonderful read!

Altec Best
10-26-2012, 04:46 AM
Agreed ! Thanks for posting for us Altec fans. The #21011 under the cones is just the cone model number.A matched pair refers to it's impedance reading.. Like if both drivers measured 3.9 ohms then it's a matched pair..And the amp sees the same resistance meaning they should sound pretty close.. If one reads 3 ohms and the other 4.2 then they aren't matched. The numbers on the underside of the cone is just the cone model number...This is how you can tell if they were reconed with original cones when they were available... But as you know already you can't buy them anymore so you have to try and save them at all costs if they need repairing.