PDA

View Full Version : JBL4345 AMP Suggestions?

1951 ford
10-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Hi Guys, im somewhat new to site, My names andrew from Langley, BC Canada. Im Gathering Parts for a pair of jbl 4345 Studio monitors. Im looking for a plan for amps etc for these. What Are guys running for these? Id like to do an active crossover with 2 tube amps for the highs and SS amps for the 2245s. What size Mcintosh Tube amps do i need for the highs? I appreciate it! -andrew

Mr. Widget
10-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Hi Guys, im somewhat new to site, My names andrew from Langley, BC Canada. Im Gathering Parts for a pair of jbl 4345 Studio monitors. Im looking for a plan for amps etc for these. What Are guys running for these? Id like to do an active crossover with 2 tube amps for the highs and SS amps for the 2245s. What size Mcintosh Tube amps do i need for the highs? I appreciate it! -andrewI'm not sure if there is any sort of consensus out there on the amps, but I'd suggest you read Bo's thread on his active crossover experience with the 4345. Now, why do you want to use McIntosh tube amps up top? If it has to be Mac, I guess I'd go with an MC275 and the SS amp(s) of your choice below... a solid 200wpc or better should do the trick.

Widget

1951 ford
10-20-2012, 06:29 PM
I was told that 2- mc275 amps in mono would be enough just so flippin expensive, I don't know macs just have this aura. Do you have a link to Bo's thread I can't find it. Thanks -AndrewAndrew

invstbiker
10-20-2012, 08:20 PM
I use a Canary 300B-LUVELY

Mr. Widget
10-20-2012, 10:16 PM
I was told that 2- mc275 amps in mono would be enough just so flippin expensive, I don't know macs just have this aura. Do you have a link to Bo's thread I can't find it. Thanks -AndrewAndrewI think the MC275 is probably the best vintage Mac but I think you can do better sonically for the money. As to the comment about running two in parallel, since that Mac uses autoformer outputs, you will only get twice the power in a mono configuration... a simple +3dB. Is that worth double the cost?

Here is the thread where Bo describes his active networking with his 4345s (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?11572-Bryston-10B).

Widget

jblnut
10-23-2012, 01:13 PM
At the risk of raising the ire of Mr Widget, I will say that I am extremely happy with my MC275 which powers the high-end of my bi-amped 250Ti's. While I might agree that there could be cheaper/better alternatives, you have to give it up to the 275 in these areas:

1) build quality
2) resale value
3) looks - it's a Mac !

Seriously, these are very nice sounding, very well made amps. They do not however, evoke a "warm" or "tube" sound like say Conrad Johnson. They are voiced to sound a lot like the Mc SS amps, only with a little better "3D" imaging which I assume is the tubes at work.

I have been on other forums where some have said bridging the 275 makes it lose some of its sonic goodness, so I'd only do that after hearing what a single one in stereo sounds like. I would also use a SS amp for the bass and leave the 275 for what it does best - a very clear and detailed mid/high-end.

jblnut

1951 ford
10-26-2012, 09:46 PM
cool thanks guys i think i first need to find all the drivers for the 4345's first. thats gonna take a while. haha