PDA

View Full Version : what to do with my C60 soveriegns???? keep em stock, modify? etc. etc.

aaronz28
10-17-2012, 07:20 AM
Hi,
i've posted questions about these before, but some time ago, i cleared out all of my messages - so i apologize if this is something that a few of you guys have already answered... but

i have a stock/original pair of C60 soveriegns - i'm about to have the cabinets refinished, but before I do that i want to consider any/all mods that might be within my reach.

my gear consists of a McIntosh C11 preamp, listening mostly to vinyl on a TD124 with a Benz Ruby cart - I have a McIntosh MCD7000 as well.
my amps switch from time to time, but i'm currently running a nice MC240 on them, which provides plenty of power - but i've also run a MC2505 on them, and have even played around with a pair of old Simplex IPC tube amps - which also sound quite nice.

The speakers are stock original, with their foam surrounds, 375 horns (red wax intact) and 075 tweeters (also red intact)
i did re-cap the crossover and shorted the l-pad in the middle position about a year ago - this balanced the two speakers and restored (what I thought) a sonic purity to them that I hadn't previously heard.
I have (on/off)used an active crossover to run a 150wpc amp on the woofers and used the MC240 on the mid/treb letting the stock Mid/hi JBL crossover do its thing.

i'm at a point where i'd like to use them to the best of their ability - but don't necessarily want to waste money if sonic improvements aren't realistic - or if the speakers will be the limiting factor.

I've been told that the C11 (which was restored by Audio Classics in NY) preamp is still about as good as it gets - but i know of problems with the Soveriegn cabinet size, horn, and tweeter that all have user upgrades available.

I suspect that in the end, my biggest obstacle is going to be my listening room, which is only about 3 feet wider than these two speakers are (when they sit end to end) - (assuming they are flat against the wall)
i could angle them in the corners, and toe em in, but i'm not sure just how much of an improvement (if any) that might offer.

any thoughts? - given what original mint 375s are worth, i'd consider selling those and going with the pro driver that has been rediaphramed if its worth it (specifically with my gear/room) if y'all think i'd be wasting money, i'll keep them stock and enjoy what they offer as is.

on the other hand, i might just leave them as is, and spend 3-4k on a new pair of speakers that would work far better in my room - but I sure love vintage JBLs :D
any help/thoughts would be great.

dr_gallup
10-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Your best bet may be to remodel the house to get a bigger/better listening room.

aaronz28
10-18-2012, 03:16 PM
thats about the only option that isn't a reality -