PDA

View Full Version : Altec 210

NickH
10-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Does anyone know what the radius is on the horn of an altec 210 cabinet?

Thanks,
Nick

10 Watt Street
10-12-2012, 11:58 AM
http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/plans/1970%27s-lf-plans/enclosures03.jpg

NickH
10-12-2012, 12:01 PM
http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/plans/1970's-lf-plans/enclosures03.jpg

I know about the plans. Thanks. Ive found that altec was noturios about not putting the right info on them though. So I tend not to follow them. If the 210 had an exponential hotn then it should follow a certain radius.

10 Watt Street
10-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Then use a compass on the plans and convert to scale.

NickH
10-12-2012, 12:13 PM
In order for that to be possible you would have to have real plans. Ones with a scale on them. With these that wouldn't be possible.

10 Watt Street
10-12-2012, 12:16 PM
The dimensions are there.

NickH
10-12-2012, 12:40 PM
The dimensions are there.

Yes they are. But It is not the simplest thing to do. I was just hoping someone had figured it out in the past. Taking those dimension and creating the support pieces for the horn is going to be a pain in the butt.I'm guessing I will have to make a 1:1 template just to make them. Ill figure it out though.

Nick

Altec1803
10-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Yes they are. But It is not the simplest thing to do. I was just hoping someone had figured it out in the past. Taking those dimension and creating the support pieces for the horn is going to be a pain in the butt.I'm guessing I will have to make a 1:1 template just to make them. Ill figure it out though.

Nick

Are you building a scaled down cabinet? You are looking at the radius on the front curves. Do you have access to an AutoCad program? I have done other work, non-speaker, using cad and have done scale then dimensioned it from there. It should also help with the radius you are looking at doing. Let me know.

eso
10-13-2012, 10:32 PM

Nick

The dimensions are there, and they accurately describe an exponential flare, not a radius. You will have to draw it up full size to make a pattern for the ribs that the skin is formed on anyway.

Since it is an exponential flare you cannot draw it out with a compass or trammels: the radius is continually increasing as it approaches the mouth. If you don't have a cad program and a plotter to plot out a pattern full-size the next best option would be to draw it out on the inside of one of the plywood sheets for the cabinet sides. It's not the simplest build so the full size drawing is going to come in handy for more than just the horn flares.

eso

NickH
10-15-2012, 06:31 AM
I was looking at building a half 210. The one thats talked about in sound practices. So the horn height will be 1:1 but not the width. Seems like If its an esponential I thought those were always a radius and hyperbolic was logarithmic. But Im no expert. This is a distant future project I just wanted to get a little info.

I figure Im going to draw it out on some foam insulation and cut it out. Ill use that as a template. I have 828 bass horns now but I want to upgrade in the future. The only problem is I have 416's and not 515's.

Nick