PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding Performance Series Hookup

RedCoat23
10-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Just a quick question for those members with the performance series setup.

I realize that the design is not specifically geared for this but...

How well do you think it would work hooking up the PC600 to the filtered outputs on the PS1400 and placing it at the same Centre-to-Centre spacing as the PT 800's?
I obviously don't know if it would be in phase at that point for a transition between the two. It's my understanding it crosses over at about 170Hz..is that correct?

So much sound information is transmitted through the centre channel and I like the idea of reinforcing the midbass here with the LE14...

I know I could find a PT800 and just use the same across all three...but I like the reduced height of the PC600 and was wondering if this was worth exploring?

Thoughts and criticisms are welcome :)

Best Regards

Redcoat

rdgrimes
10-04-2012, 08:06 PM
If you're talking about running a PC600 off it's own dedicated PS1400, you'd be negating the fact that the 130Hz crossover is specifically designed for a docked PT800, it'd be easy to introduce an assortment of nuls or peaks in the mid-bass. There's so little audio below 80Hz in center channels that this is all a pretty fruitless endeavor. Far better to just use a 3rd PS1400/PT800 stack for center, although again the gain will be minimal.

RedCoat23
10-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Yes, that's what I was getting at :)

you'd be negating the fact that the 130Hz crossover is specifically designed for a docked PT800, it'd be easy to introduce an assortment of nuls or peaks in the mid-bass.

Hence my comment from above

I realize that the design is not specifically geared for this but...

I also agree that traditionally, particularly back in the pro-logic days, the center channel carried a reduced set of information. Now with the high-bit rate and lossless encoding used, I wonder if its getting more information...:hmm:
All channels are 'technically' full range. It's down to the studio's to make use of that during the mix. Again I don't know if they are or aren't, purely supposition at this stage.

I'm likely to look at getting a PT800 as intended but was trying to avoid the inherent height issue created when you're not using a projector and acoustically-transparent screens.
For the larger TV's, having to place the them higher than a stacked PT800/PS1400 is problematic at best.

Anyway it was little more than a thought experiment at this stage so thanks for the input.

Best Regards

Redcoat:cheers:

rdgrimes
10-05-2012, 04:35 AM
Current popular use of the center in movie audio is for dialog only. For multichannel music it may be used in a number of different ways or not at all. The PC600 is an extremely capable speaker, I think there's much better ways to use the money required than on a center PS1400.

Robh3606
10-05-2012, 07:19 AM
Depending on the mix I have had the bass quitar show up in the center on a couple of DVD's. Hell Freezes Over as an example.

Rob:)

rdgrimes
10-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Depending on the mix I have had the bass quitar show up in the center on a couple of DVD's. Hell Freezes Over as an example.

Rob:)

No doubt there are always exceptions, and audio engineers mixing 5.1 music seem to do anything and everything. My point is just that the cost of a 3rd PS1400 might best be applied to some other use, like another sub.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to use full stacks for surrounds, hell - why not have 7 PS1400s? :dj-party:

RedCoat23
10-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Funny you should mention the stacks...

I'm planning on picking up an additional 4 PS1400's next week (taking my total to 6) and that's the reason why I asked about the 7th...

I already have two additional subs in the same space (B&W ASW3000 and a 4642A GS). :bouncy:

I just like the idea of having a consistent tone all around - regardless of whether they use them in the mix now or not...I suspect over time that may change.

Titanium Dome
10-05-2012, 10:43 PM
In my little Performance Series 5.1 rig, there are four stacks R, L, SR, SL, with a PC600 in the middle. All four stacks cross over at 40 Hz to the four HTPS400 subs, while the PC600 does it at 80 Hz. Since it's well known that I don't use it for movies only music, the center channel dialog of movies is moot to our enjoyment.

Co-habitating harmony prevents me from taking a chain saw to the furniture in the room to muscle a full stack in place of the PC600, and for no apparent benefit as the PC600 is a credible speaker in its own right. Besides, I'd have to move Buddha out of his alcove under the PC600, and I'd hate to do that. ;)

I've got two unused PS1400s and either six or eight PT800s I could press into service, but we're pleased with the Performance's performance as is, and we don't want to disturb the good karma and mess with the feng shui in one clumsy, needless effort.

How could I move this guy?

RedCoat23
10-06-2012, 03:43 PM
You have a great system Dome, that's for sure. The Buddha/JBL shrine provides an excellent centerpiece. I wouldn't know how to arrange that with another stacked performance series and maintain your current 'harmony' so its a good fit for your needs.

My current PT800/PS1400 pair with PC600 cross over at around 40Hz to the B&W sub.
The big JBL is waiting for a crown amp with DSP to get it up and running.

Mine is primarily a movies only system, though I do occasionally listen to music through them. I'm just taking advantage of the Harman Clearance to pick up at least the remaining 4 subs. :)