PDA

View Full Version : Lookee what made it`s way into the living room

Mike F
10-02-2012, 09:50 PM

Been contemplating moving up the JBL food chain for a little while now, not that the 4425s were bad or anything, but just because.. They were a great "gateway" that had me wanting more.
Came close to buying a pair of 4333A`s that needed lot`s of attention but decided not to as they required just too much work to make them right.

Then by chance, I heard from a local fellow from whom I had purchased some audio gear from and asked if he would consider parting ways with one of several pairs of 4430s he had to which he answered " come on down!"

This particular pair came from a local CBC studio who had the woofers reconed prior to selling them.
They have since sat unused in a controlled environment and are in near NOS condition.

Getting them set up properly will take some time, I have built a couple of temporary 10" stands that now put the horns lower lip and woofer frame at around ear level, that seems like a good elevation.

I`ll reserve passing judgement on the sonics until I put some more time on the new cones, experiment with placement and tweaking of the L Pads, which are currently in the flat position
but I will say, these are serious speakers:).
The bass authority and dynamics are truly stunning with an equally impressive stereo image. Very transparent.

They are currently being driven by a single BGW 750B which will soon be accompanied by a 750C in biamp mode with the help of a Brooke Siren Systems FDS 310 crossover. That ought to provide adequate torque.

I`ve only had them a few days now and I`m starting to get use to their physical presence. Make no mistake, these are not small speakers. Most people would find them too dominating but then, I`m not most people and actually enjoy the occasional domination ;)

mikebake
10-04-2012, 06:34 AM
Member 4313B spent some years with these as his main cabs. He might be able to answer questions. I had a pair for a year or so. Enjoyed.

hjames
10-04-2012, 06:41 AM
They sure look great! Kudos!

several [/I]pairs of 4430s he had to which he answered " come on down!"

This particular pair came from a local CBC studio who had the woofers reconed prior to selling them.
They have since sat unused in a controlled environment and are in near NOS condition.

I`ve only had them a few days now and I`m starting to get use to their physical presence. Make no mistake, these are not small speakers. Most people would find them too dominating but then, I`m not most people and actually enjoy the occasional domination ;)

JeffW
10-04-2012, 04:08 PM
What are they puttin' in the water (http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649020816-babycheeks_jbl_4430_and_4435_studio_monitors) up there?

Nice speakers you got!

Mike F
10-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Member 4313B spent some years with these as his main cabs. He might be able to answer questions. I had a pair for a year or so. Enjoyed.

I could have sworn 4313B chimed in earlier. Either way, I would welcome current and past owners comments regarding their experiences, particularly those that went the biamp route.
I`m a little concerned my crossovers fourth order slopes may be too steep compared to what a 5235
does.