PDA

View Full Version : New Surrounds

Klube
09-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Hi:

Reading about refoaming woofers I see a reference to using MEK to soften the foam still attached to the cone to facilitate removing it.

1) It's pretty intact. Any reason the new surround can't be glued on right over it?

2) Can I use Acetone instead of MEK?

3) Best place to find MEK? (Never heard of it before.)

Thanks folks.

Cheers,
Jim

10 Watt Street
09-30-2012, 02:15 PM
MEK=methyl ethyl ketone
Here, it is a solvent typically available from a hardware store.

Josh Schaeffer
10-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Hi:

Reading about refoaming woofers I see a reference to using MEK to soften the foam still attached to the cone to facilitate removing it.

1) It's pretty intact. Any reason the new surround can't be glued on right over it?

2) Can I use Acetone instead of MEK?

3) Best place to find MEK? (Never heard of it before.)

Thanks folks.

Cheers,
Jim
Do not glue the new surround over the old surround. It will affect the mechanical compliance of the woofer to a point that it will no longer be properly "tuned" to the enclosure it is mounted in.
In other words, the tuning frequency of the enclosure will no longer be optimal for the new woofer compliance, especially in a ported enclosure(the surround will make the woofer travel too stiff).
Personally I don't like the typical aftermarket surround kits anyway, the foam is too thick and stiff and often lowers the woofer's compliance too much.

Lee in Montreal
10-02-2012, 06:58 AM
Do people really glue a surround on top of another? :eek:

ratitifb
10-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Do people really glue a surround on top of another? :eek: some do :crying: in addition to some extra :eek:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?28512-2235-refoam-job&highlight

Crazy recone job :rotfl:

Klube
10-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Thanks all.

No problem, I will remove the old foam.

In Panama there's probably MEK somewhere but who knows what it might be called. Inventory here can be less than what a US consumer might consider sensible / optimal as well. At any rate, the question remains - will Acetone do the job? I know right where to find that...

Cheers

Rolf
10-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Again: Re-Cone ... Not Re-Foam.