PDA

View Full Version : 4344 build. stuff it??

jarrods
09-28-2004, 10:38 PM
I have a whole pile of GreenStuf insulation batts that were left over from the building of my brothers home theatre room (acoustic wall stuffing)...

http://www.autex.co.nz/insulation/greenstuf.html

I want to use it in my 4344 build. Batts are 100mm thick (hmmm 4 inches for the non-metric world). Is this material OK? Too thick? and when you stuff the cabinets do you stuff all inner surfaces and inside the dogbox for the 10" as well?

All inner joints of my cabinets now have a 50mm strip of fibreglass matting and resin over them now. When that dries I will be glueing in the GreenStuf (unless the forum yells NO!!!!)

OK thanks,
Jarrod

Michael
09-29-2004, 01:01 AM
Should be fine. The purpose of doing this is just to stop standing-waves/reflections and all that crap. It also may fool the drivers into thinking the cabinet is slighly larger, bonus.

Yep, do the 10" chamber aswell, I checked ours, its padded. You may not even have to glue the stuff in, try wedging it in.

Normally you can get away with just doing the back of the cabinet, but go for all the sides (even around the outside of the 10" chamber).

Good luck!

Ian Mackenzie
09-30-2004, 03:51 AM
The grade of the batts makes a difference.

JBL use 3/4 inch on the 4345 but it will come down to some experiementation. Remember the Fill adds virtual acoustic volume and this will effect the final tuning.

Ian

Guido
09-30-2004, 11:44 AM
I too think it is to thick!

Michael
10-01-2004, 01:01 AM
IIRC the 4344's use dampening material thats quite alot thicker than 3/4" (or at least our pair), but I might have a look. Woofers are due to be rotated anyway LOL