PDA

View Full Version : BX63A Capacitor Replacement

bobdog
09-22-2012, 09:31 AM
I think It is time I should replace the caps in this 25+ year old box. I should have no problem with the actual desoldering and re soldering, but I have no idea what caps to buy. I have the schematic so the values are known but looking around on the web there are different types of caps, and I am clueless. Has anyone done this and have a shopping list. It would really help.

rusty jefferson
09-24-2012, 06:10 PM
I think It is time I should replace the caps in this 25+ year old box. I should have no problem with the actual desoldering and re soldering, but I have no idea what caps to buy. I have the schematic so the values are known but looking around on the web there are different types of caps, and I am clueless. Has anyone done this and have a shopping list. It would really help.

Welcome to the club.

There are a couple of recent threads going about these crossovers, and several members with DIY skills have chimed in about possibly building these from scratch as they are getting hard to find, and are an excellent crossover for the B380/B460. Those members may have recommendations about capacitor replacement. It was suggested by one member to "charge couple" the capacitors during a build/rebuild.

I have 2 BX63As that were not functioning properly. As I don't have the DIY skills, I had to find a technician to try and repair them. They were both diagnosed with bad AC power supply caps. I had my tech replace all the capacitors in 1 unit. He used a mix of Silmic and Blackgate capacitors. He also recommended I replace most (or all) of the resistors. After confirming the first unit is now working properly, I sent him both units to replace the caps in the second, and the resistors in both. I may be able to get you a parts list from him when he's done, but it is just one man's opinion. He recommended I not "charge couple" them, as an example. I also asked him to consider building a higher quality power supply to replace the AC wall wort, but that's just in the early stages of discussion.

I would have liked to talk to Greg Timbers about this crossover/sub combo at Ti Dome's event, but alas......

LE15-Thumper
09-25-2012, 09:44 PM
I had actually bought a whole whack of 1% MF resistors and parts to start offering kits for these, that's a while back now. I have the PCB foil diagram as well, I'm worried about copy right infringement. Anybody have ideas on this topic ?