PDA

View Full Version : JBL 2360A for home audio

phutho
09-19-2012, 11:54 PM
Hello all,
I would like to know if have anyone used the JBL 2360A horn in home audio setup? I just bought a pair of TAD 4002 and will have a change to buy a pair of jbl 2360a as 200/ea. I want to use them with Klipsch jubilee bass bin clone and using dbx drive rack 260 for active. I am in between Klipsch K402/TAd 4002 or JBL 2360A/TAD 4002 or AutoTech JMLC-350/TAD 4002.

Please help with advice. The JBl and autotech horn are about the same price. But the Klipsch k402 is about 5 times more expensive. Will it be worth to go with K402 often. If yes, then I have to wait for the money.

Thank you very much

withTarragon
09-20-2012, 06:39 AM
I have used most of these with a JBL 2246 driver and the Klipsch K-69 driver. This was two way with a horn loaded bass bin.
These are my opinions.

Within reason, the horn is more important than the driver. The 2360 horn sounds problematic if it is crossed too low and/or not steeply enough. Crossed at 500 Hz, it will have a harshness. When crossed at 700-800 Hz, it sounds better. However, the polar pattern on the Jubilee bass bin gets too narrow above this cutoff ( you want the dispersion of the horn and bass bin to be comparable at the crossover region).

The K-402 horn (the big one) sounds the best, hands down best. Yes, they are expensive and you will not find them on the used market. The K-510 horn (a scaled down version of the K-402). Sounds quite good, but it does not control the polar pattern in the vertical below about 1800-2000 Hz. If you have high ceilings, this may not be a problem. The K-510's are less expensive and very occassionally come on the used market.

An alternative constant dispersion horn with a 2 inch throat is the Electrovoice HP640. This sounds quite good (don't extend my recommendation to the HP940 or HR series). They are cheap and readily available on eBay.

phutho
09-20-2012, 08:02 AM
I have used most of these with a JBL 2246 driver and the Klipsch K-69 driver. This was two way with a horn loaded bass bin.
These are my opinions.

Within reason, the horn is more important than the driver. The 2360 horn sounds problematic if it is crossed too low and/or not steeply enough. Crossed at 500 Hz, it will have a harshness. When crossed at 700-800 Hz, it sounds better. However, the polar pattern on the Jubilee bass bin gets too narrow above this cutoff ( you want the dispersion of the horn and bass bin to be comparable at the crossover region).

The K-402 horn (the big one) sounds the best, hands down best. Yes, they are expensive and you will not find them on the used market. The K-510 horn (a scaled down version of the K-402). Sounds quite good, but it does not control the polar pattern in the vertical below about 1800-2000 Hz. If you have high ceilings, this may not be a problem. The K-510's are less expensive and very occassionally come on the used market.

An alternative constant dispersion horn with a 2 inch throat is the Electrovoice HP640. This sounds quite good (don't extend my recommendation to the HP940 or HR series). They are cheap and readily available on eBay.

Thanks for the information.
What is the minimum room needed for the K402 to reach each potential? I have 13 feet x 30 feet room with 8 feet ceiling.