PDA

View Full Version : 2242H surround got OVERSPRAYED!! omg...

firewalker1212
09-14-2012, 06:59 AM
First and foremost, I was not the krylon armed idiot that did this. So the previous owner did a poor job of masking/thinking while touching up the thrashed 4645 enclousure. The result was the surround getting a light coat on the first "hump" about 1/3 the way around. I only really noticed because of a "shadow" of dust on the cone....(not worried) but the surround compliance must be f*** up with hard paint on the "primary" hump......

Does anybody know what the "binder" is in JBL "cloth" surrounds?????? Wax? Secret Wax? Basically I just want to get most of paint off or at least "break up" the coat so the accordian can uh.... do its bellow type action....

whadya think fellas? my $40 still seems well spent though :) this forum is AWESOME too

Thanks, Scott

Robh3606
09-14-2012, 07:28 AM
I wouldn't worry all that much. If you want to know for sure measure the Fs on the driver. I doubt a mil or 2 of paint is going to be enough to shift the Fs up if at all. Even if it does go up a couple of hertz I doubt you would hear it under real world use conditions.

Rob:)

badman
09-14-2012, 09:30 AM
I wouldn't worry all that much. If you want to know for sure measure the Fs on the driver. I doubt a mil or 2 of paint is going to be enough to shift the Fs up if at all. Even if it does go up a couple of hertz I doubt you would hear it under real world use conditions.

Rob:)

Agreed. Once you make that puppy bounce, any binding properties of the paint will likely dissipate, and it'll be a complete non-issue, though pics would help to be 100% sure

Lee in Montreal
09-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Let's not forget either that the (untouched) spider is part of the compliance. I wouldn't worry about a change in sound. It is most likely only cosmetical...

dr_gallup
09-14-2012, 11:49 AM
I forth those opinions. Thin coat of paint on just the outside of the surround unlikely to make any difference. The probability of damaging the surround trying to remove it, on the other hand, is much higher.

firewalker1212
09-15-2012, 10:42 AM
What did I say about this forum, awesome. I knew you guys cared! Thanks. I will get a picture later today. The idea to blow the paint into smithereens though application copious wattage is brilliant. I will tell the police it is a service procedure.:applaud:

thanks, scott

Lee in Montreal
09-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Scott. Here's what I would do if indeed it is only a light overspray. Run the woofers, and from times to times (once a week) brush the surrounds with a soft tooth brush. It wil help paint particles desintegrate over time. No biggie.

Good luck.

Lee