PDA

View Full Version : reconing altec 604-8H

superduplex
09-12-2012, 12:40 AM
I want to recone my Altec 604-8H. I know a guy who can do it for me. He has a lot experiance reconing Altec.
I have the choice between
a) finding a pair of original cones with number 23939-2 (i think they are very rare)
b) buying a pair of original cones with number 21184-2 (3 or 4) there are a pair on ebay right now, but I am not sure if they are NOS.
c) buing a pair for GPA
Please give me advise, I will use the original voicecoil and spiders.

NickH
09-12-2012, 06:46 AM
Personally I would buy them from GPA. That way you know exactly what you have. With NOS cone kit you really dont know how they were treated for the last 30 or so years. The only problem is does GPA sell the cone kits or do they just make and install them? That I dont know. And being in Holland the shipping would be a bit unpleasant.
Just my 2 cents
Nick

I want to recone my Altec 604-8H. I know a guy who can do it for me. He has a lot experiance reconing Altec.
I have the choice between
a) finding a pair of original cones with number 23939-2 (i think they are very rare)
b) buying a pair of original cones with number 21184-2 (3 or 4) there are a pair on ebay right now, but I am not sure if they are NOS.
c) buing a pair for GPA
Please give me advise, I will use the original voicecoil and spiders.

superduplex
09-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Thank nick For your advice. Perhaps that will be the most save way. But would the new cones sound the same as the original ones? and would they have the same specifications? Some say the original diaphragma sounds better then the ones of GPA. Have you ever compered them?

NickH
09-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Superdulex, Thats an interresting handle. How did you come about picking that name? As for the GPA cones, I have not so I cant comment there. Im a GPA cutomer and I think they make a very good product and they have no problem taking the time to answer any question I have when I call them. This make them my goto guys for anything altec. But as I said its just my 2 cents.

If it were me I would call and talk to Bill and ask him if there 604 cone kits measure differently then the originals. Granted the number wont be exactly to spec as no 2 driver hardly ever test the same. But it should be in the ball park.

Nick

Thank nick For your advice. Perhaps that will be the most save way. But would the new cones sound the same as the original ones? and would they have the same specifications? Some say the original diaphragma sounds better then the ones of GPA. Have you ever compered them?

superduplex
09-16-2012, 08:00 AM
hello nick,

I will certenly give Bill a call and ask for advice, but please if other members have a good advice as well , then let me know. you asked me to my name. well I am an Altec lover for over 35 years and have owned several Altecs such as the valencia, barcelona, the famous A7, model 14, model 17 and model 18 and diy projects. My first 604 was the 604e and liked it very much. All the 604e have the name superduplex written on the chassis. Because the 604 concept is my favorit and I think all the 604 are super speakers, I call them all superdupex and adopted this name.
best regards, superduplex