PDA

View Full Version : 123A + LE8T two-way???

ccvogel
08-23-2012, 04:10 PM
I recently purchased a pair of 123A woofers in superb condition, and am considering various options for a system built around these woofers in a pair of large (approx 6.5 cu ft) cabinets that I have.

I gave some thought to building a less-colored sounding L100 along the lines of Troels Gravesen's "JBL100 Century - Recreation" [ http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_L100_08.htm ], but the complexity of the required crossover made me wonder about the wisdom of going out and buying LE5's and LE25's if the combination of the three drivers was so difficult to satisfactorily implement. The original JBL crossover is not an option for me because the stock L100 was never one of my faves.

The LE8T, however, is a driver whose capabilities and tone have impressed me since I owned L44's in the early 1970s. I remember taking the grills off my L44s and being absolutely astonished that the system did not include tweeters!

Since the 123A and the LE8T are both quite well-behaved in the frequency range that I am considering for the crossover (i.e., 2500 - 3000 Hz), it struck me that a simple 1st order crossover for each driver might result in a very fine 2-way system.

Has anybody tried this combination?

What are the prospects that it would make a good system?

Thanks,
ccvogel

badman
04-08-2013, 04:46 PM
I'd think you'd want a lower XO and a tweeter, so a three-way. That said, an inexpensive waveguide/horn tweeter could be crossed high with the LE8T playing possibly 500-5kHz.

I've kicked this idea around for a while but never implemented.