PDA

View Full Version : Diaphragms to fit 2470 rather than "Phenolic"?

DogBox
08-09-2012, 05:28 AM
Hi All,
Having read all I can find, I would still like to know: What diaphragms will fit the 2470 driver, with the view to mating it with a 2307 horn and 2308 lens in a Hi-Fi/ Monitor situation... Thanks!

:)
DogBox

speakerdave
08-09-2012, 07:57 AM
It will take any of the diaphragms that go into the LE85/2420.

DogBox
08-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Hi Speakerdave, I checked out the Lansing Library and the 2470;2420; 2421 all appeared to have the same motor [silver rings,etc] and seeing that most Studio Monitors use either Aluminium or Titanium diaphragms for the correct frequency response/ match to crossover, got me wondering what I could swap into my 2470's... Thanks!

DogBox

[Steve]

Mr. Widget
08-09-2012, 11:38 PM
For the best acoustic performance (studio monitor type of performance) with those drivers you should buy D16R2421 diaphragms... they are aluminum and will offer the flattest response and the best sonic performance. Unfortunately they are also the most expensive.

If your phenolic diaphragms are in good condition, save them as they are fairly rare and can be quite useful n certain designs.

Widget

DogBox
08-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Hi Mr.Widget, Would those "certain designs" only be of a PA description or in a Hi-Fi role..?

Thanks,
DogBox

08-14-2012, 11:21 PM
I find the phenolic does survive a dropped mic better than the AL diaphragms. Sounds bad, but keeps on working is better than bad sounds, then silence...

A simple high-pass filter on both a mid and tweeter also works better if the mid rolls off naturally where you want to start the tweeter passband. I'm not a fan of the breakup of some AL diaphragms when used that way, but the phenolic does not seem to have the harshness that results some of the metal diaphragms.

So, yes they are designed to survive PA use, but sound very good when used properly in a Hi-Fi setting.

Mr. Widget
08-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Hi Mr.Widget, Would those "certain designs" only be of a PA description or in a Hi-Fi role..?

Thanks,
DogBox
Mostly... though it could work if a narrow band is required at the lower end of it's range.

Widget

DogBox
09-04-2012, 02:05 AM
So, thinking about the diaphragm in its role, could you say it has a similar sound as a ' silk domed' tweeter?
I have looked at the sheets in the library and it does give a frequency response [although with a 2350 horn- completely different to a 2307 horn and slant lens assembly for hi-end hi-fi!] to 12kHz, which is plenty high enough to have crossed at 8.5~9kHz to a 2405, for instance.. yes,? where the 2470 'could' be used in such a set-up.. Although, the 2421 doesn't start until 800hz but goes out to [on the same 2350 horn] +/- 3dB : 15k.
Does the "compression chamber" in the make-up of the driver motor "change" the sound that much, 'it loses its "metallic" overtones?'

The phenolic would surely have a different "character" when not driven to the demands of 'live work'... one not that appealing????

DogBox

jerry_rig
09-04-2012, 04:12 PM
I once owned a pair of 2470s mated to the 2345 originally for PA and later in a S7R type system for the home. I would not compare phenolic to a silk tweeter. Nor would I focus on the frequency differences with the 2420/2421 or LE-85. The trade-off for increased power handling to my ear was not just a rolled-off high end, but also a lack of quickness or transient response. Music does not have the same "air" and details may be lost. I am not even certain that they will mate well with the 2405.

Best to take Widget's advice and find a set of aluminum (or even Be) diaphragms. And hang on to the phenolics for their own intrinsic value. Good luck!

DogBox
09-05-2012, 03:28 AM
Best to take Widget's advice and find a set of aluminum (or even Be) diaphragms. And hang on to the phenolics....
Hi jerry rig,
Thanks for the advice! I shall do just that and search out a pair of D16R2421's, like Mr.Widget said. I wasn't trying to find an excuse to use them, no matter what.. it's just that I had heard that they had been used to good effect in a 4-way monitor system- so thought I would try to find out as much as I could. ..And especially as I 'do' wish to mate them to 2405's. So much still to learn...!

DogBox

Tim Rinkerman
09-11-2012, 11:52 AM
I really like 2470's for the top end driver replacement in Leslie's. They roll off just around 6k, just like a Hammond....