PDA

View Full Version : Altec Lansing Model 19s in the house (again). Seller's remorse cured!

George Roland
07-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Awhile ago, I sold my Altec Lansing Model 19s. BIG mistake. :banghead: As they were going out the door, seller's remorse ensued and, for about a year, I have been trying to find another pair.

Yesterday, I purchased a real nice pair. They were one-owner with all stock components and were in even better cosmetic shape than my first pair. I include a photo of them taken just after I got them in the living room this morning. Grilles are included.

These sound every bit as good as the pair I first owned. Altec must have had good quality control for two pairs of speakers that are 35 years old to sound so consistent and so good.

I have been listening to these guys most of the day, and am, once again, in audio Nirvana. :D

The detail and clarity of these speakers is really outstanding...best I've ever heard.

Thanks for reading...enjoy your music,

George

DavidF
07-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Why did you decide to sell the first set and what did you substitute for use in the interim? Two Model 19s and a piano too much?

George Roland
07-22-2012, 08:41 PM
It sounds silly, but I just thought I couldn't or shouldn't keep two fairly large pairs of loudspeakers in my living room. My wife felt somewhat the same way.

The other pair, that I listened to in the interim (and still have), are Quad ESL 63s. Nice speakers!

George

Mr. Widget
07-23-2012, 08:20 AM
It sounds silly, but I just thought I couldn't or shouldn't keep two fairly large pairs of loudspeakers in my living room. My wife felt somewhat the same way.Ok,Ok, so maybe you feel the need, but I'm not buying the idea that your wife couldn't be made the happiest by seeing all of them leave the house. :D

Congratulations on finding an even nicer pair!

Widget

DavidF
07-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Ok,Ok, so maybe you feel the need, but I'm not buying the idea that your wife couldn't be made the happiest by seeing all of them leave the house. :D

Congratulations on finding an even nicer pair!

Widget

There was some kind of invisible line put across décor bliss when stereo came out.

The Model Nineteen has a certain combination of aesthetic qualities that are appealing to me despite the size. A combination of old estate wood-paneled library meets industrial strength studio sound system. The Klipsch Belle and some of the older Tannoy cabinets have a similar appeal. I believe my spouse could live with a pair of the Altecs provided we actually had an estate with a large wood-paneled library. I believe she may actually enjoy having one Altec 19 in the real world living space. But not two. That would cross the line.

robertbartsch
07-24-2012, 10:36 AM
I had a pair for 35 years then sold them.....uhg. bought another pair 5 years later...... painful lesson.