PDA

View Full Version : Hook Up BX 63A / B 380 Subs To Integrated With NoSub Or Pre Outs

parisphoto
07-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Hope that this is the correct forum.
The title says it all.
My new integrated has no Sub or Pre Outs.
How would I connect my BX 63A and B 380 subs?
Thanks.

HCSGuy
07-18-2012, 12:16 PM
There is no audiophile accepted way to do this. If you cannot return your new Integrated amp, you could purchase a speaker to RCA adaptor (common for car stereo), or replace the BX-63A with a crossover that will take speaker level inputs and filtered outputs. I used to have one that would do this (Made by Energy Speakers) but I don't know what is available now. Your best bet is to upgrade your new amplifier.

rdgrimes
07-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Thanks.

Does it not have any tape outs or a tape loop?

parisphoto
07-18-2012, 01:28 PM
I do have Tape In and Tape Out jacks on the rear, a Tape Monitor switch on the front, and a separate amp for the subs.

hjames
07-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Hope that this is the correct forum.
The title says it all.
Thanks.

If it has no pre-outs,
you might be out of luck ...
get a better/different amp.

hsosdrum
07-18-2012, 03:10 PM
A tape monitor loop connection won't work for the BX63 because the tape output level does not adjust along with the changes you make to the integrated amp's volume control. (If it did, you'd ruin your recording whenever you turned down the volume to answer the phone.) If you use the tape output connection for the BX63, once you balance the subwoofer volume with that of your main speakers they will only remain balanced if you never change the integrated's volume control setting. As soon as you do you'll have to adjust the subwoofer volume to compensate, and at higher settings of the integrated amp's volume control you'll likely run out of range on the BX63's volume knob.

You should return your new integrated amp and get one that has either a set of preouts or a dedicated subwoofer output. Be aware lthough, that a dedicated subwoofer output will likely have its own low-pass filter network, and you don't want the subwoofer signal to pass through both it AND the L-P network in the BX63, so make sure that the sub out can be set to bypass the internal crossover network so you can use the one in the BX63.

Mike F
07-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Does your integrated feature a LFE output?