PDA

View Full Version : L36a inductor

Mike F
07-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Seems most agree on the benefits of recapping the x-overs but no one mentions replacing the 2 mH coil.
I`m replacing the original caps for some Solens so should I bother with the inductor while I`m at it?
TIA

hjames
07-05-2012, 04:18 AM
Seems most agree on the benefits of recapping the x-overs but no one mentions replacing the 2 mH coil.
I`m replacing the original caps for some Solens so should I bother with the inductor while I`m at it?
TIA

Capacitors are generally replaced as they can dry out and the values can change.

Coils are basically just turns of wire - they don't generally fail or change value.

Mike F
07-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Capacitors are generally replaced as they can dry out and the values can change.

Coils are basically just turns of wire - they don't generally fail or change value.

True, but I was wondering if it would be worthwhile changing out what appears to be an iron core coil to an air core or a fancy Hepta Litz, both seem rather pricey too.
I guess I`ll leave well enough alone, for now...

Baron030
07-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Hi Mike

A few years back, I overhauled a pair of N2400 crossovers and replaced the original small 20ga iron core coils with 18ga Erse I-Bar iron core coils. And I did notice an improvement in how the 030 system sounded at high volume levels. No real difference at low volume levels, but noticeably cleaner at high levels. So, I would think that upgrading to air core coils would be even better. My recommendation would be to choice a fairly heavy gauge air core coil, so that the DC resistance closely matches that of the original iron core coil. An ERSE 2.0mH 14 AWG Perfect Layer Inductor (Partsexpress # 266-370) would be my choice for such a project.

Baron030:)

Mike F
07-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Hi Mike

A few years back, I overhauled a pair of N2400 crossovers and replaced the original small 20ga iron core coils with 18ga Erse I-Bar iron core coils. And I did notice an improvement in how the 030 system sounded at high volume levels. No real difference at low volume levels, but noticeably cleaner at high levels. So, I would think that upgrading to air core coils would be even better. My recommendation would be to choice a fairly heavy gauge air core coil, so that the DC resistance closely matches that of the original iron core coil. An ERSE 2.0mH 14 AWG Perfect Layer Inductor (Partsexpress # 266-370) would be my choice for such a project.

Good info Baron, thanks. I guess what you experienced can be attributed to less saturation at elevated volumes, correct?

Baron030
07-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Yes !:thmbsup:

I would have to say that original small 20 ga iron coils did saturate.