PDA

View Full Version : Crown IC150A issue

pyonc
06-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Hi,

I've tested a newly purchased Crown IC150A in clean, used condition preamp to run 4343 in a biamp mode.
Strange enough, I hear sound from both speakers when I set the control button at MONO,
but nothing when I set it at STEREO. The same result when I tested it in a single amp mode.
I find nothing wrong with my two amps and JBL M552 Xover.
Is there any mechanical issue here for repair? Just frustrated and disappointed at this preamp. :confused:
Any feedback or opinion would be very welcome.

Mike F
06-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Does it happen on all selected inputs or just one? Dont get too discouraged,, often times problems like yours tend to be solved with a good cleaning of pots and switches.
There is not much in that preamp as far as circuitry goes, the majority is probably in the phono section IIRC.
Manuals and schematics are available on the Crown website.

subwoof
06-27-2012, 06:14 PM
the crown preamps are unique in the "panorama" control and because there is only ONE gain stage, very high value, custom variable resistors are used in the balance / panorama controls. In the mono mode there WILL be a signal on both outputs depending on the balance control setting ( and others ).

Suggest you read the manual *completely* before deciding if there is an issue..:)

http://www.crownaudio.com/gen_htm/legacy/legaclin.htm

sub