PDA

View Full Version : Altec 879A Santana needs some TLC.

Mystery
06-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Got a pair of Altec 879A and needs some TLC.
These are my 1st pair of vintage Altec besides the Altec Lansing computer speakers.
All silver/aluminium dust caps are pushed in.
These seem very tough to pull out using a tape.
Any other ways to fix that?

Grill cloth on one is coming apart from the grill.
I can glue it on the grill but it won't look pretty as the border of grill cloth is torn.
May be I can replace the fabric.

Washed the grills, wiped cabinets and now they look pretty decent.
Removed thick layer of dust off the woofers and noticed the speaker with messed up grill has woofer messed up as well.
Looks like someone tripped on the woofer with a glass full of drink as I can see fluid marks on the dust cap.
One woofer's cone is torn in many places in upper right hand side.
One tear goes all the way to the middle ring and few others are criss-cross.
Is that cone fixable with speaker/Elmer's glue or need professional attention?
They do work fine and sound very very GOOD and balanced.
I tested with Yamaha CR-800 and it was very punchy at 12 O'clock even with that low power amp.
Thanks for suggestions.

hatrack71
06-26-2012, 07:16 PM
Ouch, that just hurts to look at. The 420A is one of the best sounding drivers I have heard. Unfortunately, recone kits are non- existent. You can recone them to 416s however. :)

Mystery
06-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Ouch, that just hurts to look at. The 420A is one of the best sounding drivers I have heard. Unfortunately, recone kits are non- existent. You can recone them to 416s however. :)
Thanks for chiming in.
I will try to patch tears with Elmer's clear glue with some tissue paper as support.
If that doesn't work, will part out as I don't want to spend much on these.
These are heavy so shipping is not a good option and it'll be a waste to trash the cabinets. :(