PDA

View Full Version : New cabinet damping for 4333

Erik10
06-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Hi.

I scrapped the old 2" layer of rockwool insulation from my 4333 boxes.

What would you guys recommend instead ?

I'm considering a sandwich for taking advantage of the damping capabilities of different materials
1/3" (8mm) foam sleeping mat +
1 1/4" (3 cm) of foam (the type used in mattresses) +
4/5" - 1 3/5" (2-4 cm) of polyester batting

HCSGuy
06-24-2012, 01:14 PM
What was wrong with the rock wool? It is a better sound absorber than any of the options you presented. In general, matress or sleeping foam is closed cell which is not designed for sound absorption. Look for open cell foam instead - the process of fighting its way through the crevases in the foam is what does the damping. Polyester batting works also, but I don't think as well as open cell foam or rockwool. I will let others chime in with their preferred materials - I usually use open cell foam because I'm lazy.

Odd
06-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Hi.

I scrapped the old 2" layer of rockwool insulation from my 4333 boxes.

What would you guys recommend instead ?

I'm considering a sandwich for taking advantage of the damping capabilities of different materials
1/3" (8mm) foam sleeping mat +
1 1/4" (3 cm) of foam (the type used in mattresses) +
4/5" - 1 3/5" (2-4 cm) of polyester batting

Rockwool adds volume to the cabinet and the port is tuned for that extra volume.

Erik10
06-26-2012, 01:56 PM
What was wrong with the rock wool? It is a better sound absorber than any of the options you presented. In general, matress or sleeping foam is closed cell which is not designed for sound absorption. Look for open cell foam instead - the process of fighting its way through the crevases in the foam is what does the damping. Polyester batting works also, but I don't think as well as open cell foam or rockwool. I will let others chime in with their preferred materials - I usually use open cell foam because I'm lazy.

I dont like getting the insulation dust blown into my room, so the rock wool had to go. I'll try open cell foam and some poly batting.
The idea with the very thin sleeping mat was to further dampen upper frequencies within the box, so they would'nt get out through the vent.

Baron030
06-26-2012, 02:39 PM
There is a new product called “UltraTouch Denim Insulation” and it has properties similar to rock wool and fiberglass, but with the itch. Link: http://www.bondedlogic.com

Baron030:)