PDA

View Full Version : Tube power amp what is enough power per RMS ?

dino
06-15-2012, 05:53 AM
Hey. I would like to bi amp my jbl speakers. I will be using a SS to run my 2245h woofers and I want to use a tube amp to run the mids and hf drivers. The issue is my SS power amp is 250 rms will a 70 watt rms tube amp keep up with the SS amp. I do not not lisen to my music at low volume. When I am listening to my music depending whats playing and what mode I am in I guess I am running any were from 75 rms up to 150 + rms. So my question is - will the 70 watt rms tube amp be enough to keep up with the 250 watt rms SS amp or will I have to buy an tube amp with more wattage per rms:dont-know:

ps- keep in mind I never bi amp any thing so all of this is new to me thx

Mannermusic
06-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Hey. I would like to bi amp my jbl speakers. I will be using a SS to run my 2245h woofers and I want to use a tube amp to run the mids and hf drivers. The issue is my SS power amp is 250 rms will a 70 watt rms tube amp keep up with the SS amp. I do not not lisen to my music at low volume. When I am listening to my music depending whats playing and what mode I am in I guess I am running any were from 75 rms up to 150 + rms. So my question is - will the 70 watt rms tube amp be enough to keep up with the 250 watt rms SS amp or will I have to buy an tube amp with more wattage per rms:dont-know:

ps- keep in mind I never bi amp any thing so all of this is new to me thx

Oh yeah, that's plenty. We used to run similar tri-amp rigs with 300/60/60 watts (Crown) respectively. The 60s hardly knew they were turned on. Neat experiment 'cause you can try different amps on the top. I found I like either SS or tubes on the top - they sound somewhat different but not necessarily better or worse. Depends mainly on the amp design and what you are looking (listening!) for.