PDA

View Full Version : I'm about to do something really stupid...JBL 6020s

audiomagnate
06-08-2012, 02:17 PM
I know they won't sound as good as the amps I have on hand, but for some weird reason I have to have a pair of these. Do they have any value? One is broken. I think it's cool that they have an output transformer that you can bypass.

hjames
06-08-2012, 02:25 PM
I know they won't sound as good as the amps I have on hand, but for some weird reason I have to have a pair of these. Do they have any value? One is broken. I think it's cool that they have an output transformer that you can bypass.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vintage JBL-UREI Electronics/JBL-6020.pdf (http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vintage JBL-UREI Electronics/JBL-6020.pdf)

No flames or anything meant, not trying to be snarky - just an honest Question ...
Do you think they are better than the later 6230/6260/6290 series ...??

audiomagnate
06-08-2012, 04:57 PM
No flames or anything meant, not trying to be snarky - just an honest Question ...Do you think they are better than the later 6230/6260/6290 series ...??55952If you're asking me I have no idea. I just think they might have some historical value.

audiomagnate
06-08-2012, 08:01 PM
I just pulled the (Paypal) trigger. I swapped a nice Marantz 2270 plus some cash for these ugly beasts.

Titanium Dome
06-08-2012, 08:27 PM
I would have done it. I might regret it later, but :wtf:

Hopefully, your gamble pays off. If not, sell them to me at a loss. ;) I'll deal with those beaches.

Titanium Dome
06-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Hey, I bought that exact coffee maker for my GF. Of course, she stopped drinking coffee. :banghead:

As for the JBLs, my sentiments remain: sell them to me at a discount if you don't want them.

Mr. Widget
06-09-2012, 06:30 AM
I would have done it.Yeah, but you'd buy an ashtray if it had that logo on it. :D

Widget

hjames
06-09-2012, 06:39 AM
Yeah, but you'd buy an ashtray if it had that logo on it. :D

Widget

Please, lets not condone smoking ...
An incense burner, no doubt!

Surely there is a market for a JBL incense burner?

Mr. Widget
06-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Please, lets not condone smoking ...
An incense burner, no doubt!

Surely there is a market for a JBL incense burner?
You missed my point. Dome doesn't even smoke... the logo is that magical!

Widget

hjames
06-09-2012, 01:50 PM
You missed my point. Dome doesn't even smoke... the logo is that magical!

Widget
Nope, I took it for granted HE didn't smoke ...

Titanium Dome
06-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Yeah, but you'd buy an ashtray if it had that logo on it. :D

Widget

Here's how bad it is: my GF showed me a picture of this K-Pop group she likes, Miss A, so she asked, "Aren't they sexy?"

First words out of my mouth: "Look, they have some JBL 4312 studio monitors."

Her: "You're not normal."

Titanium Dome
06-10-2012, 08:53 AM
I will admit, upon retrospection, that I do envy the 4312 on the left.

----------------------------------------

Sorry, Audiomagnate, for taking this too far afield. Let us know when you get the goods.

Carl_Huff
06-12-2012, 08:57 AM
I admit ...

I've had an ongoing love affair with UREI 6250 amps (pre JBL) for years. I own a rack full and use them every day.

caladois
06-12-2012, 09:20 AM
I have a 6021 amp and it is not that bad at all !!! Keep them.

4313B
06-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Pink hair is a nice change.

JeffW
06-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Pink hair is a nice change.

"Well, as long as the collar and cuffs match." - James Bond

mech986
06-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Anybody know much about the 6233 "Ice Cube" amp? I've got a couple but trying to figure out if worth it to restore. They used a sort of discrete version of a switched mode power supply built in the early 80's to keep weight down.

grumpy
06-12-2012, 01:02 PM
There's a really good service manual available... I'd be concerned about equivalent parts availability... The manual calls for replacing the inverter transistors as a quad set (implying to me that they need to be matched for the 20kHz switching transients to be minimized). The unit also has a special grounding terminal, further implying there were issues in certain installations (perhaps uncommon, but enough to introduce it as a production element). A full rebuild cost would need to be weighed against what was available new (possibly for less), vs. the jones to get something like this up and running.

Personally, I'd not be connecting it to speakers that were irreplaceable.

mech986
06-12-2012, 01:35 PM
There's a really good service manual available... I'd be concerned about equivalent parts availability... The manual calls for replacing the inverter transistors as a quad set (implying to me that they need to be matched for the 20kHz switching transients to be minimized). The unit also has a special grounding terminal, further implying there were issues in certain installations (perhaps uncommon, but enough to introduce it as a production element). A full rebuild cost would need to be weighed against what was available new (possibly for less), vs. the jones to get something like this up and running.

Personally, I'd not be connecting it to speakers that were irreplaceable.

Sound advice, just thought they were interesting, although this pair is pretty beat up looking. But a pair for $100 wasn't much to worry about.

grumpy
06-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Oh, they're a cool design (pun intended). At $50ea, I'd have sprung for them too :)
especially if they were working.
I'd definitely want them thoroughly checked out before connecting them to anything serious.
Same goes for any other high powered amp that old.

audiomagnate
02-13-2013, 05:33 PM
I know it's lame, but I'm unboxing these tonight.

Double Dave
09-13-2021, 08:02 AM
I know it's lame, but I'm unboxing these tonight.

What did you make of them? Do you still have them? I picked up two of these last year, and two 6010B's. Couldn't resist the look of them.. I got them to compliment my 4355 project build. The 6010's for the tops, and the 6020's for the lows. Quad bi-amped vintage JBL amplification has some symmetry to it...

Mine need work too, but that's all part of the fun I suppose. Not plugged them in yet so have no idea of their functionality. Yet.