PDA

View Full Version : D140, aluminum dust cap or not?

Quaramon
06-08-2012, 06:42 AM
I've got 4 drivers that I'm pretty sure are all original, they have all black cones with paper dust caps.
But almost all other copies I've seen has alu caps, a google search for D140 images confirm that.

I've found one online advert for a pair looking like mine with paper dust caps, the seller writes this:
CONES: These are the original cones (see exhibit F to see the OEM cone #s) and coils are the thick, beefy D-140 model, the Real McCoy .... All paper cones, dark, thick & supple ... meaning a large power handling / rating and DEEPER, quite walloping BASS (opposed to consumer models with aluminum dust caps -- brighter)... these D-140's were intended orignally for some really powerful, low bass, open back, tube driven tone cabinet's from the late 1960s.

"..consumer models with aluminium dust caps.." anyone have more info on this?

/Q

Harvey Gerst
06-08-2012, 07:17 AM
The original D140F should have a ribbed cone, a flat, edge-wound copper voice coil, and an aluminum dome.

Quaramon
06-08-2012, 08:38 AM
The original D140F should have a ribbed cone, a flat, edge-wound copper coil, and an aluminum dome.

Ok thanks Harvey.
Implying mine must have been reconed sometimes I guess.

hardtime
07-15-2012, 01:47 PM
I have 3 D140s and 3 D130Fs that I bought many years ago that completely cured my habit of blowing speakers on my electric bass rig. I did crack one of the aluminum domes on the D130F from my abuse. In the early 60s I blew many of the other brands best. I used them a pair at a time playing R&B. They now reside in two JBL home brew systems in my house. All I can say is,"They are sweet!
From one engineer to another; my hat is off to the people that designed and put these together.

maxwedge
07-15-2012, 03:07 PM
I've got 4 drivers that I'm pretty sure are all original, they have all black cones with paper dust caps.
But almost all other copies I've seen has alu caps, a google search for D140 images confirm that.

I've found one online advert for a pair looking like mine with paper dust caps, the seller writes this:
CONES: These are the original cones (see exhibit F to see the OEM cone #s) and coils are the thick, beefy D-140 model, the Real McCoy .... All paper cones, dark, thick & supple ... meaning a large power handling / rating and DEEPER, quite walloping BASS (opposed to consumer models with aluminum dust caps -- brighter)... these D-140's were intended orignally for some really powerful, low bass, open back, tube driven tone cabinet's from the late 1960s.

"..consumer models with aluminium dust caps.." anyone have more info on this?

/Q
Possibly they were reconed with 2225 kits?:dont-know: It was common to do that. I have 4 D140s with 2225 kits and they have paper domes.

Harvey Gerst
07-16-2012, 12:37 PM
My hat is off to the people that designed and put these together.
Actually, it was just one guy that convinced Bill Thomas to come out with an actual Musical Instrument speaker line instead of selling home hi-fi speakers. More info here:

http://audioheritage.org/html/history/jbl-pro/1960s.htm